Removing pet smells from wood?

I know this is a little abstract, but its devaluing a property.

I am wondering if anyone knows of how to remove pet smells )urine) from timber?

Its a timber deck and was a puppy pen for quite some time (puppy missed the paper often).

Now when the sun gets on the timber (painted) it is smelly. I would say some of the urine would have gone between the wood gaps.

Any suggestions?

Hello Dynamite..have you tried soaking the area with vinegar,
then rinsing it off?Give it a good soak though, buy the big cheap
bottles and spray it between the cracks too if possible.

Other than that your vet could have some suggestions .......

Cheers,

just thinking ---could you face the thought of sanding the area off
where the puppy pen was located , treat the bare wood with whatever and repaint when the smell is knocked out?

cheers plainsong.

I was considering sanding it. But I think the only parts that would need treatment are in the gaps.

What does the vinegar do? Lots of people siggest this, but I a just worried it an old wives tale.

Hi Dynamite..

Vinegar neutralises the uric acid in human urine and Im hoping it could do the same for pet wee---- (I used to soak nappies and sweaty garments in vinegar and water before washing to get rid of odours, sorry about the housekeeping lecture) wouldnt cost much to try it out though..if that doesnt get rid of the smell the local vet might have some suggetions too, they should be experts in pongy substance removal!

There is also something you can get at the supermarket called NilOdour, concentrated stuff but this old wife reckons have a go at the vinegar and see what happens....

Good luck with the problem!

Sand the Wee out

Sanding the urine will get the smell out of the top of the deck, don't know about the gaps. It's quite amazing what vinegar will do.

It's really good for washing sanded and polyurethaned floors, instead of some expensive stuff you buy from the supermarket. One cup of vinegar to one bucket of hot water and a tightly squeezed squegee mop does wonders, gets all sorts of scum off wooden floors. Don't use detergents, it breaks with poly down.

Sorry to get off the subject - but I can't help myself when the word "wood" is mentioned.:D

Queen Bee

I had a funny feeling you may know a few tricks when it comes to wood surfaces.

I have read though that vinegar can enhance the smell due to the fact it increases the acidic level.

Now Im not sure about the truths of it all.

Only one way to find out.

Im going to repaint, so this may seal it, but yes the gaps will have to be treated somehow (I aint ripping the deck up).

Vote [1] vinegar!!

When I had the child care centre, the steam cleaning chap had the key to the door! However, even steaming the carpets every three months didn't help when parents would suddenly decide that Little Johnnie was ready for toilet training but forgot to tell us!

I kept a spray bottle ($1.50 at Bunnings) filled with one third cheap white vinegar (not brown, the malt smell is reminescent of a brewery) diluted with two thirds water.

After we had done the walk on the folded nappy trick to soak up the urine, we would liberally spray the area with the diluted vinegar, then walk on a few more nappies until the carpet was as dry as possible.

Result? No smell, and even the vinegar smell was gone in a few minutes.

Much better than a bleachy smell. And yes, I went through bottles of Nil Odor. Eucalyptus oil is also very good for giving a fresh smell, also lavender oil. Any of these put on the hem of a curtain will make a room smell fresh - even when the tenants are smokers!!!

Dynamite, buy the cheapest vinegar possible, mix up buckets of the stuff and slosh to your heart's content! After that, slosh a couple of buckets of warm water with a bit of eucalyptus or lavender oil and you'll think it's Christmas!

cheers

Kristine

I was told to use bleach and then disinfect with a eucalyptus smell.

Im worried the bleach may discolour my paint, I will paint again, but not immediately.

Dog urine is VERY hard to eliminate totally.

Best idea is a tin of Estapol wood polish or similar & after sanding, liberally slap it on.

Im not wanting to sand the paint off, but if Im going to that extent I will just rip the old timber off, replace and treat (stain, paint etc), some of the would is starting to get moisture due to some scratches, so maybe new wood and estapol.

Its 16sqm so its not a huge area.

Back