Removing silicon

Hi All
We have an ip that a previous tenant has stuck objects on the exterior wall with what appears to be silicon.Now that the objects have been removed there is a globs of silicon remaining that look awful.The wall is painted render, so l cant chip it away.Does anyone have a bright idea of how l can safely remove the globs without damaging the paint work or the render?
Ta yadreamin

Hi yadreamin - I saw an ad for a product which removes silicone the other day. I have no idea what it is like but it was called Selleys Silicone Remover and is intended for bathroom areas I think. It might be worth calling Selleys and asking if they make another version for your type of surface. Hope this helps you look in the right direction.

Ol School Skata said:
I've heard doctors can do this but it leaves scarring :D

OSS
\

It s not those sort of globs Skata, but thanks anyway. ha ha he he ha

Coops, yep l will check out the sellys range and see what they have.I thought someone may have had come across this problem before and just wanted to weed out useless solutions.
cheers yadreamin

yadreamin,

If there is one person in Australia who would know, it would be Shannon Lush.
She is amazing at solving problems such as this.
Her book will be out in a couple of weeks time.
In the meantime email her off her website, or ring her when on the radio.

www.shannonlush.com

A86

Just an update
I found a product called
silicon remover [well surprise surprise]
It need about 2 hours to work into the old silicon and then you just scrape or rub off.Its a bit guey so its good to have a few rags and a bit of turps on hand.But it works
cheers yadreamin

where from?

yadreamin said:
Just an update
I found a product called
It need about 2 hours to work into the old silicon and then you just scrape or rub off.Its a bit guey so its good to have a few rags and a bit of turps on hand.But it works
cheers yadreamin

Thanks old chap! That's a good solution. where did you get it from?

yadreamin said:
Just an update
I found a product called
cheers yadreamin

where did you buy it from??

thanks
shaun

Sellys Silicon Remover
It,s made by Selleys and l bought it from Bunnings.
I,ve since looked through smaller hardware stores but they don,t carry it.
I have also bought a great product made by Sellys its a mould remover.It really brings the silicon around a shower/bath back to new.It took a few applications and l had to leave it on for quite some time but it it is well worth the time.Worked very very well on the mould that seem to be "inside" the silicon.
cheers yadreamin

Hi
from my experience tinkering with motor cars I know that petrol (and probably white spirits) is a solvent for silicon sealants. Use with care!!
Terry

thanks mate,

its just that i have some old silicon that needs removing, been annoying me now for 2 years. eventually i was just going to use a razor blade or something :eek:
i will check bunnings out, here in canberra and see if they stock it.

cheers
shaun

shaunwalker said:
its just that i have some old silicon that needs removing, been annoying me now for 2 years. eventually i was just going to use a razor blade or something :eek:
i will check bunnings out, here in canberra and see if they stock it.
There is going to be a new Bunnings superstore in Belconnen- near the markets.

Back