Removing stickers

Anyone have any tips for removing stickers from whitegoods without damaging the finish?

I have previously tried Eucalyptus oil and another oil based preparation specifically for removing these with very average results.

I have quite a few stickers to remove from my sons 2 year old bar fridge tomorrow and if I can do it in 10 minutes instead of 1 hour that would be great :D.

Mind you I should be getting my son's friend who came around with a roll of stickers to take them off with a soft cloth and soapy water :rolleyes:.

Fourty yrs ago I was part of a group removing the stickers from the bosses car after a rally. Sadly, acres of metallic gold paint came off with the stickers. I was very inconspicuous at the time.

Now this will never happen with modern baked finishes but a hair dryer still makes it easier.

Im your man for this answer. I am a signwriter.

Heating it up with a hair drier or heat gun is easiest. The glue will soften and make the sticker peel very easy.

Obviously being careful of heat on the surface as to not damage the white goods.

then as mentioned above, tea tree oil or an strong solvent will remove any residue if any.

Thanks everyone. I ripped the vinyl tops off the stickers and soaked what was left with Johnson 'Wood Magic' because I thought it being a cleaning agent and oily it could work. Adhesive completely softened and all 12 or so scraped off with a plastic spatula within seconds :D.

Does anyone really know why tough stickers are still used? I know that 'good' stickers exist, the kind that come off easily and leave no mark, so why do the evil ones still get used?

Does anyone really know why tough stickers are still used? I know that 'good' stickers exist, the kind that come off easily and leave no mark, so why do the evil ones still get used?

I'd say that the the person or company that's put the sticker on doesn't want the sticker removed or tampered with before the sale of their product or period it's required.

They probably figure what happens after it's out of their hands is not their problem unless of course it stops people buying their goods.

Most things perish with time but not sticker adhesive :(.

They probably figure what happens after it's out of their hands is not their problem unless of course it stops people buying their goods.

While it might not affect people's decisions directly, the issue has certainly given me a better opinion of Breville, simply because the huge sticker from our new blender peeled off neatly in one go. Simple pleasures huh? Can't take that kind of sticker for granted :) Whereas if it tore and made a nasty mess I'm sure I would have thought less of their company because it would make their product seem like cheap crap.

We use Eucalyptus oil as well. Some come off easily, some are a real pain in the @r$e, depending on the company. Generally because they don't want you ripping the stickers off. :D

Because they are cheap. The good stuff leaves almost no residue.

they longer the sticker is applied the harder it is to remove. If the sticker is on a car window or outside application the vinyl becomes weathered and brittle.

The cheapo vinyls have a 3-5 year life, but become brittle and hard to remove upto 6 months after application if on a Car window due to the cabin temp heating the glass.

I have used the top shelf vinyls and had no issue removing the application off car windows and shop front windows with almost no effort or residue after 12 months.

I have had a shocking cheapo vinyl i used 1 time... the glue seperated completely from the vinyl while trying to remove the sticker. I had to soak the whole back window of the car and then srap the glue off. Took ages. Never using that crap again.

Rego stickers on cars are terrible. Wind up attacking them with a razor blade most times, there's no tinting to get in the way on the front windscreen.

Refuse point blank to register the car for a year nowadays, they are much easier to get off after 6 months. Its only $20PAish more doing it 6 monthly anyway.

Mind you I forgot about the last one (paid for it, got the new sticker, never put it on), and we drove around with a sticker that said May 09 until last week when I had to sign some school excursion form that said my car was registered/insured and I figured the right sticker would be a good idea ... noone noticed!

Rego stickers on cars are terrible. Wind up attacking them with a razor blade most times, there's no tinting to get in the way on the front windscreen.

Refuse point blank to register the car for a year nowadays, they are much easier to get off after 6 months. Its only $20PAish more doing it 6 monthly anyway.

Mind you I forgot about the last one (paid for it, got the new sticker, never put it on), and we drove around with a sticker that said May 09 until last week when I had to sign some school excursion form that said my car was registered/insured and I figured the right sticker would be a good idea ... noone noticed!

Rumpled,
Fold the corner of the sticker over when you put it on. When time to remove, simply peel back. Been doing this for years. Works a treat. Any glue residue left, a little nail polish (no I don't personally use it) on a cotton ball. Right to go for another year.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Any glue residue left, a little nail polish (no I don't personally use it) on a cotton ball. Right to go for another year.
After a year they go really dry and flakey and brittle and sort of break up rather than peel off, and weird shards stay stuck to the windscreen. Never hit that until I went outback. Doesn't help the town goes very sub-zero in winter and into the 50s in the sun in summer.

Also had issues needing to replace my windscreen wipers more often than usual, same reason.

I park under a tree now at the new house. Car is covered in purple poop from birds eating my olives, but the shade is nice :) Weather is less extreme here too.