render join

Is this join line by the weep holes deep enough?
Looks shallow to me but I'm not a renderer
How deep should it be to stop cracks running up?
This is on house around the corner but thinking of using same renderer for my place.
Also is it usual for the brick lines to be faintly showing? Looks pretty flat to me from side on and might just be color difference. Will paint hide that?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20150308_134004.jpg
    20150308_134004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
  • 20150308_135457.jpg
    20150308_135457.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
- in the pic it looks like bare cement render, so the paint should cover the brick lines.

- the weep hole has been covered to much, it should be the full height of the brick.

- when they render the wall or a brick wall it should have articulation joints or expansion joints in specified areas to allow for the house to move. Not doing this will allow the house to crack.

Is this join line by the weep holes deep enough?
Looks shallow to me but I'm not a renderer
Can't tell from the photo, but it should be the thickness of the brick.

How deep should it be to stop cracks running up?
It is a weep hole / breather hole - its purpose is not to stop cracking.

This is on house around the corner but thinking of using same renderer for my place.
Also is it usual for the brick lines to be faintly showing?
Depends on what the owner was trying to achieve.

Looks pretty flat to me from side on and might just be color difference. Will paint hide that? Thanks
Depends on the gloss level of the paint used.

Sorry everyone I wasn't clear. I was referring to the horizontal 'joint' that they run along by the weep holes to stop cracking. Is that deep enough?

I think it is an expansion joint between the drop edge beam (concrete that the brick wall sits on) and the brick wall. If the line goes any deeper it will expose the brick. That is the only thing I can think of it being from the pic provided. Is there any other horizontal lines in the render throughout the walls?

If the horizontal joint /crack inducer bridges the flashing it may cause rising damp issues. The thickness of the render would be minimal &should crack but my preference would be not to have compromised the flashing in the first place as it protects from (dissolved) salt damage.

The groove is a v joint to control where it cracks, not stop it. You can never stop cracks, it's part of the house settling and the foundations and materials expanding and contracting.
That groove joint is there because below the line is concrete and above the line is brickwork, with aluminium damp proof course in between and it is likely that the lowest course of bricks may move (expand and contract) at a different rate from the concrete it is on, so they've put that v-joint there to not make it obvious for when it does crack.
Regarding the weep hole, as long as you can stick a paddle pop stick inside and move it around freely, it should be fine.
If it were a bad renderer, they would've rendered over it and not left you a weep hole.
Check the corners, you can tell a good renderer by the corners if they're done freehand. I personally would rather use PVC corners, they don't rust and don't chip like freehand corners. You might also need a straight edge to check the straightness of the render.
Paint will hide the lines, the mortar lines usually show through unpainted rendering especially on the walls that the sun hits. I think it's just the salts leeching out from the mortar.

Back