Render, price per sq metre?

Bunnings have a new product on their shelves, its a DIY render and a pretty impressive product from what l read.
Might be worth a look if you are handy
cheers
yadreamin

I'm going to need to do a small render job soon. I've never had much luck doing it - last time I tried I stood back when finished to pat myself on the back and watched a big patch peel off the wall. I like the sound of a DIY product. I wonder how they make render idiot proof?

I'm going to need to do a small render job soon. I've never had much luck doing it - last time I tried I stood back when finished to pat myself on the back and watched a big patch peel off the wall. I like the sound of a DIY product. I wonder how they make render idiot proof?

I agree, I tried to do some plastering around a fireplace once and I thought it
would be easy. It looked horrendous, and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't
get it smooth and even. I'd hate to think what a big project would end up like :eek:

Neil

I like the sound of a DIY product. I wonder how they make render idiot proof?
Try Cemintel Skimcoat & Texturecoat. It's fairly idiotproof - it's got tiny bits of plastic in it (instead of sand) so the thickness is consistent. It goes on fairly smoothly. 20KG tub covers about 6sqm & costs about $80... and you need one of each... so 6sqm costs ~ $160.

Render costs around $30 to $35 per sqm. You then need to add the cost of painting as well. This is usually around $15 per sqm.

If you are rendering over a painted surface then further preparation may be necessary.

Thanks Keith. A readymix in a tub sounds good for the small bit I need to do - around a new door opening. Rendering, like floor sanding, I decided ages ago was something it's better to get other people to do.

Bunnings had one of those free DIY classes on rendering a couple of months back. I went along and from the information provided, realised that it wasn't something I could do a reasonable job of. All this talk of making things 'even' and using a 'level' and a 'trowel'. :eek: This was despite that fact that the render was acrylic & therefore water clean up.

In my case, once they make something idiot proof, they just invent a better class of idiot :p

hubby does small jobs in acratex ... it's a flexible render so good for blueboard. he is "okay" but for any decent size job i'd get the pro's in.

i've been quoted $45/m2 about 2 years ago ... so might be a bit more nowadays. depends how busy they are i guess as had my 5 big gums removed last week and the loppers were falling all over each other to undercut due to lack of work.

Well! I will be getting 3 quotes done early next week, will be interesing to see what they come out at.

I'm having the whole interior done.. so hopefully there'll be a discount involved.

I plan on living in half while they work, will be at work while the workers get the job done. Then switching to the other half of the house, to save money as I currently rent a property and plan on breaking the lease. Hopefully can find a tenant with such short notice..

I had heard from a course participant that he just buys the thick render paint - and it gives, an albeit less impressive, OK finish - anyone heard of this? Sounds a bit dodgy.

Jane

Back