Rendering Paint - Anyone heard of it?

I was most excited when my good wife discovered some rendering paint in bunnings. You simply paint over your bricks and it fills in the gaps as you go along. Now she has done a small sample downstairs, i dont have any pics but it looks pretty good. It would look even better if she didnt scrape a lot off and put it back in the paint tub as she didnt want to waste it. We are going to get cracking with this on our PPOR soon.

Apparently the guy in bunnings had used it before and got a good result. You just need a fancy paint roller and you are away.

Anyone else used it? I thought it was amazing when my wife discovered it, do others know about it or have I just been living a secluded life?

Last edited:
I thought it was amazing when my wife discovered it, do others know about it or have I just been living a secluded life?

It has been out for a number of years :) But I suspect it is just like when you buy a new car, you suddenly 'discover' a whole lot more of them on the road than you'd ever seen before.....you start 'seeing' stuff you like or need to have ;)

It has been out for a number of years :) But I suspect it is just like when you buy a new car, you suddenly 'discover' a whole lot more of them on the road than you'd ever seen before.....you start 'seeing' stuff you like or need to have ;)

Yes what do they call it - the reticular activating something in the back of your head.. Thanks, I gotta get out more prop.

Haven't used it yet, but plan on using it shortly. I found 2 good Dulux videos on youtube that had a step-by-step guide on how to do it. Seems prettly simple and effective.

Haven't used it yet, but plan on using it shortly. I found 2 good Dulux videos on youtube that had a step-by-step guide on how to do it. Seems prettly simple and effective.

Kesse, would you be able to put the links up of those Dulux videos? I would be pretty keen on checking this stuff out. Thanks.

Kesse, would you be able to put the links up of those Dulux videos? I would be pretty keen on checking this stuff out. Thanks.

Yeah sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORec4Cjn504&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3C9vg1QZWk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I hope these work as I had to search for these on my phone and email the links to my work email address. If they don't work just go to youtube and put "dulux render paint" and it should come up with the vids.

Yeah sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORec4Cjn504&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3C9vg1QZWk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I hope these work as I had to search for these on my phone and email the links to my work email address. If they don't work just go to youtube and put "dulux render paint" and it should come up with the vids.

Thanks Kesse, those links worked well. Thanks Tin Tin for bringing this to my attention. Great stuff.

Tin Tin,

Roll on render paint is good for lower end of the market rental properties, gives them a more modern look and feel.... for sale properties & the higher end market, buyers see the roll on render as a cheap option and it can devalue the price of a property :) Buyers are smart and know the cost difference between the roll on stuff and the real deal :)

Holly

Tin Tin,

Roll on render paint is good for lower end of the market rental properties, gives them a more modern look and feel.... for sale properties & the higher end market, buyers see the roll on render as a cheap option and it can devalue the price of a property :) Buyers are smart and know the cost difference between the roll on stuff and the real deal :)

Holly

Thanks Holly and happy to bring it to the attention to others.

We are looking to put it on our PPOR which is mid middle class so I hope it actually ads value, I am sure it will.

I just think white looks better than orange brown brick..

Hi Tin Tin,

I wanted to try out the Dulux render paint and created a courtyard a couple of years ago and coated it using the render paint. I found it was easier to trowel on with a plastic trowel rather than apply it with the coarse roller commonly used. Whilst it probably would have been cheaper to render it the normal way, it was a quick solution for me.

For brickwork i'd recommend the real deal for a better finish.

Project 1080

Attachments

• P1000357 - Copy.JPG
    P1000357 - Copy.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 920
Hi Tin Tin,

Whilst it probably would have been cheaper to render it the normal way, it was a quick solution for me.

For brickwork i'd recommend the real deal for a better finish.

Project 1080

Is it cheaper to render rather than use the paint? I thought it would be more expensive as you have to render and then do 3 coats of paint over the top? Nice pictures too, you have done a great job of the wall!

Last edited:
Hi Tin Tin,

Can't remember the exact costs but i remember having to do 3 coats.

If i'd gone to the local sand and metal depot and bought in bulk (1/4 ton sand, etc) I think it would have ended up a little cheaper than the render paint from memory.

Thanks for the praise. Pity that my ex is now enjoying my handy work though, but such is life.

Project 1080.

Hi Tin Tin,

Can't remember the exact costs but i remember having to do 3 coats.

If i'd gone to the local sand and metal depot and bought in bulk (1/4 ton sand, etc) I think it would have ended up a little cheaper than the render paint from memory.

Thanks for the praise. Pity that my ex is now enjoying my handy work though, but such is life.

Project 1080.

thanks project, yes will prob go the easier option with just painting, if there is an easier way i usually like to do it. Sorry to hear the ex is enjoying the fruits of your labour... For whats its worth (not much), i am in the dog house tonight :eek: Must be the cold weather or something.

I have seen these textures before but not applied directly to brick walls.
Can you actually see the mortar joints through the texture after this is finished?

When you beg the house you can see the joints, and it looks ridiculous.

Im sure this is much cheaper, as this you can do yourself, and you can buy these textures in any colour, so no need to paint it.

Rendering is $30.00 per m2 plus $10.00 to paint is a expensive process.

Many years ago I worked for Bunnings and sold a little bit of rendering paint. It's litterally been around for over two decades in some form.

Way back then it worked okay, but proper render was a superior and longer lasting finish. I imagine Orica have improved the forumla over the last 6 years since I looked at it, but I'd generally perfer the real deal.

For my own home or one of my rentals, I'd go with render and a couple of coats of weathersheild paint. If I was fixing up to sell this would be easier and cheaper. It usually takes a few years for the quality difference to come through.

We have used this product - and although it does work well, and as stated - it is the finishing with the float that is the most difficult to achieve, and the most vital step.

The guy on the video is obviously a renderer, so is very experience. Working the float to get a smooth finish is a bugger of a job.

p.s. two years later, in full weather, the product is fine. We rendered it onto blueboard.

We have used this product - and although it does work well, and as stated - it is the finishing with the float that is the most difficult to achieve, and the most vital step.

The guy on the video is obviously a renderer, so is very experience. Working the float to get a smooth finish is a bugger of a job.

p.s. two years later, in full weather, the product is fine. We rendered it onto blueboard.

Good point. The way I see it is that it saves you heaps of time - even though it may be a pain to get the smooth finish, you would have to do this anyway if you were doing a traditional render job but you eliminate a few steps.

Back