Renewing a lease Qld

Hi all, would appreciate a little input:

After 8yrs of getting a new tenant every year in Jan for a 12 month period - PM informed me (Jan 8) the current tenant has decided to stay on for another 6 more months at $5/wk increase in rent. Prior to the end of tenancy (early Nov) I always instruct PM to "please renew the lease at recommended market rate or find new tenant if not".

I am not keen on this 6mth renewal because the property will need to be leased in mid winter and its on the Sunshine Coast (QLD), im worried it may take ages to find tenant (never had more than 2 days vacancy for cleaning between tenancies in Jan).. so I told the PM that I would have prefered 12 months or new tenant. She emailed tonight (after a week) to advise me that she has spoken to the tenant and if tenant doesnt want 12 mth lease (PM is waiting for reply), we need to give 2mth notice for them to vacate anyway.

So... Am i at fault for not specifically asking for a 12mth period? Usually i am involved in basic decision making ie approving tenant. With the rental increase the tenant must sign a new agreement should I reasonably expect to be asked if I am happy with a 6mth lease and $5/wk increase? Certainly in the past, I have expected this minimal level of involvement.

Thanks, nat

Is there really a difference in vacancies during winter or is this your preconception due to not having had a vacancy over a very long stretch?

Has the lease expired or are you still within the timeframe to give a shorter period of notice (as applies in NSW nearing expiry of the lease)?

In short, yes. You didn't specify - which I find odd if you actually do mind about the 6 month difference.

Thanks thatbum - Didnt think to specify because of past history and my expectation that nothing would be decided without my agreement (due to change in specifics ie rent/time) Guess thats what caught me by suprise. Thinking about it today and your response- it was a communication issue on my part. Will definately take more care from now on.

Is there really a difference in vacancies during winter or is this your preconception due to not having had a vacancy over a very long stretch? Has the lease expired or are you still within the timeframe to give a shorter period of notice (as applies in NSW nearing expiry of the lease)?

Thanks Scott - just a preconception on my part. I guess its the "if it aint broke dont fix it" mentality. Its a great townhouse in a nicely maintained complex in a good spot. Tenants always move on due to work reasons (i always ask PM). This time might get a long term tenant :D (unless existing one renews again)
Lease expired in the time it took PM to get back to me.
Cheers, nat

Back