Renno for a 2 bed unit - inner west sydney

Hi all, just have a few questions.

1. Is it ok to have bamboo flooring in the kitchen? Ive been researching floorboards and it appears bamboo is the strongest/ most resistant and durable.

As the kitchen/dining are both tiny/combined I was planning on just having floor boards throughout the apartment.

Does anyone know where I can get bamboo flooring at a cheap price in sydney? I am renovating my apartment in the inner west of sydney and then renting it asap.

I am planning on ripping out kitchen myself and smashing all the tiles off in the bathroom.

Any cheap/ good tradies that anyone knows of let me know. I did get a few quotes but way too pricey. I wanted to do a new kitchen, floorboards and new bathroom at around 10 to 12 k. As the kitchen is tiny and so is the bathroom I think this is achievable.

Any contacts welcome

I see that it is an IP. My recommendation would be to not bother with Bamboo as it will be costlier than other options.

You can use these kind of vinyl planks, which are good enough for all the rooms including the kitchen : http://www.bunnings.com.au/gerflor-pecan-senso-rustic-self-adhesive-vinyl-plank-16-pack_p6600042

If you are not moving around plumbing, you can easily get a basic kitchen and bathroom done under 10k.

I have used these guys for my IP bathroom a couple of years ago: http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/monza1-fastat-handy/hornsby

However, more recently, I have been dealing with Gary at http://www.seinorsplumbing.com.au/ and he has been great.

Regarding kitchen, if you get a flat pack and then a installer to install it, it would be the cheapest option.

Hello,

What is under the bamboo; it could be MDF or HDF which doesn't play well with water if it gets under the floor.

Why not just go with tiles. The cost would probably be the same and it's going to be trouble free compared to a floating floor.

For any place I reno, floor boards in lounge and hallway, carpets in bedrooms and tiles in kitchen.

For an IP go tiles in the kitchen.
Renters aren't going to pay you more because they like the look of flooring in the kitchen (its the fact the kitchen cabinets are newish and dont look like they are infested with cockroaches that is important).

Ive been told laminate and water really don't mix.
Especially for an IP (where you can't expect a tenant to quickly mop spills)

As above. Don't use bamboo in an IP.

Check properties of the material. Can it take heat, water or moisture?

If not perhaps keep it out of the kitchen and bathroom.

Tiles are good. Easy to clean and cheap. Check out Tile Factory Outlet (TFO).

Hello,

What is under the bamboo; it could be MDF or HDF which doesn't play well with water if it gets under the floor.

All of the bamboo products I've seen are solid bamboo- edge cut or strand woven. It is much nicer then laminate, how much this matters depends on the market for your IP.

It seems to handle kitchens fine but I haven't tested it thoroughly. These guys always seem to be cheap, and they are very convenient to the inner west (St Peters): http://www.wandafloorcovering.com/hotdeals.htm

My personal preference is tile for any wet areas. Recently had my kitchen done in tile because the hot water tank busted and flooded the laminate floorboards. I expect tiles to last at least 10 years and 100% waterproof. I also bought an extra box for spares in case something gets chipped, I need to dig up part of the the floor for any reason, etc.

I would recommend BBC tiles in Lakemba, classic tiles in Petersham and CTM tiles in Seven Hills. All these places have good quality floor tiles for a really good price. eg $10-$18 a square meter, compared to $35-50 a squre meter for bamboo.

Yen

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I was going to choose strand woven bamboo as it looks better and is durable.Vinyl will probably peel off through wear and tear from the tenants and looks really so cheap and nasty.

Also, anyone used Ikea kitchens? I had a look and they didnt look great quality but again dont want to spend too much as im going to be renting it out.

The cheapest ive had for 65 sqm is around $67 per sqm which includes underlay and installation.

I dont want to make it look too cheap as then i wont be able to get a decent rent.

All of the bamboo products I've seen are solid bamboo- edge cut or strand woven. It is much nicer then laminate, how much this matters depends on the market for your IP.

It seems to handle kitchens fine but I haven't tested it thoroughly. These guys always seem to be cheap, and they are very convenient to the inner west (St Peters): http://www.wandafloorcovering.com/hotdeals.htm

thanks I will check out how much they charge per sqm. The unit is relatively small, about 70 sqm so looking at the whole place except bathroom.

Another thing. I am planning on taking out the bath as the bathroom is only 2.4 x 1.6 metres.

I need to maximise space and I need to put the plumbing in here for a washing machine. Its currently in the kitchen. Some people say dont take out the bath, it adds value but im not selling the place im renting it out.

anyone think its ok to just have a shower, space for a washing machine, hand basin/ mirror and toilet? I dont like the idea of the washing machine in the kitchen.

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 100
I'll be following this topic closely. I have a couple of 2 bedders in the inner west which will be up for a reno within a couple of years.

What suburb is your place in, and what sort of an increase in rent do you expect once it's renovated?

I'll be following this topic closely. I have a couple of 2 bedders in the inner west which will be up for a reno within a couple of years.

What suburb is your place in, and what sort of an increase in rent do you expect once it's renovated?

Haberfield. The remaining part of the street is filled with gorgeous federation houses worth 1.5 mil. It's Art Deco 6 in the block.

And yours??

I missed out last year on a 1 bedder in petersham but so glad I waited as I got a 2 bedder instead.

Rent I think around 550-580? Once I've finished rennos. It's off street parking

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I was going to choose strand woven bamboo as it looks better and is durable.Vinyl will probably peel off through wear and tear from the tenants and looks really so cheap and nasty.

It depends what sort of vinyl you mean- vinyl sheet as in modern lino, looks horrible. Vinyl plank flooring actually looks pretty reasonable, as "texture" to it make it look more realistic so it looks better then laminate floors generally and its very hard wearing.

Its often used commercially, HSBC bank branches for example often have it near the entrance. Its common in restaurants as well.

It depends what sort of vinyl you mean- vinyl sheet as in modern lino, looks horrible. Vinyl plank flooring actually looks pretty reasonable, as "texture" to it make it look more realistic so it looks better then laminate floors generally and its very hard wearing.

Its often used commercially, HSBC bank branches for example often have it near the entrance. Its common in restaurants as well.

I got vinyl plank (good looking pine pattern). They look really good and it was either that or floating floors and we all know how they look after a few years and how they react with water damage.
Anyway, it was a good choice. I came home from a run one day and looked up to my apartment and saw water flooding out onto the street due to my washing machine drain hose coming loose. The place was covered in an inch of water. I cleared it all out and there is no difference to the appearance.
The only concern is that as the planks are so thin (2-4ml) if you have undualtions in your slab you can see them in certain lights. I do not see it as an issue but my wife has raised concerns.
Anyway, it is obviously durable which is good for an IP. Let me know if you want a few pics.

The only concern is that as the planks are so thin (2-4ml) if you have undualtions in your slab you can see them in certain lights.

Yep- you really need it to be flat. Same applies to most floating floors actually, the 8mm stuff bends horribly & joints open up badly if its not very very flat. If its concrete you can put ardit (self levelling cement) down first.

Realistically, if its not that flat I would try and use something else- a thicker floating floor like bamboo or plywood-based engineered flooring.

Back