Reno Banter

Hey SS. Just thought I might get some discussions going on cost effective ways to improve this rental.

This house is probably one of the least appealing houses in the suburb cosmetically speaking.

Looking to increase rent, equity and quality of tenant
(this one looks messy).

This property is not on the market but I have the opportunity to buy.

All work would be done by trades people as distance is far and I am time poor so factor this into your cost effictive methods.

Pic1
Screenshot_2014-10-27-19-06-22.png

Pic2
Screenshot_2014-10-27-19-06-11.png

Pic3
Screenshot_2014-10-27-19-05-46.png

Pic4
Screenshot_2014-10-27-19-05-13.png

Pic5
Screenshot_2014-10-27-19-04-51.png

Looking forward to seeing everyones ideas and opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Fresh.

There's a loo like pic 5 in on of my rentals. It's next to a bathroom so was thinking that if I wanted to get serious about making the place a lot nicer, I'd cut out half some of the adjoining wall and put in a door in between.
Or else, cut out half the adjoining wall leaving enough to keep the toilet away from the bath but still opening up the room considerably.
For the time being though, not much to do except paint the room white and keep it clean.
Interested to see what others say.

What do the good ones look like?

Hi, Fresh,

what do the good income generating houses in this area with good quality tenants look like,
(that will be your answer!)
how much more more $ are they bringing in?
What is their vacancy factor?
I am not a mathematician, but try to work out the difference in income,
versus the expenditure to get that extra return.

Good Luck!

I hope this helps

WattleIdo, I agree with the white paint idea. I was thinking that and some new lights to brighten the place up. Probably replace the carpet, it is fairly worn and orange which is a bit weird and makes the place look alot older. I was thinking some sort of darker grey coloured carpet with a subtle pattern to hide any future stains and marks.

Probably would leave the kitchen and bathroom as is until they stop functioning for what ever reasons.

Seafordsunshine, it looks like the worst house in the best area. Any improvements would up the value and rent. I was just looking for ideas on cost effective improvements.

From reading around the most popular are paint, lights and carpet.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Fresh.

WattleIdo, I agree with the white paint idea. I was thinking that and some new lights to brighten the place up. Probably replace the carpet, it is fairly worn and orange which is a bit weird and makes the place look alot older. I was thinking some sort of darker grey coloured carpet with a subtle pattern to hide any future stains and marks.

Probably would leave the kitchen and bathroom as is until they stop functioning for what ever reasons.

Like others have said, freshly painted in a white (or close to white) will make it look so much fresher. I would replace the bathroom cabinet because my eye is drawn directly to the crumbling bottom door edge. I would buy chrome tap fittings for bath and vanity. Those coloured ones date the house as much as the tiles but can be changed easily and will make the place look less dated.

The curtains all would be gone if I was renting that place. They are dark and unattractive. I always put up light coloured eyelet style because all you need is a curtain rod and the curtain. No fiddly bits, and so hard for a tenant to damage or pull down.

If the lights are of the same vintage as the tiling, vinyl and carpet, then I'd say certainly replace them, maybe with LED down lights. They are so cheap nowadays. If you don't want down lights, the other thing we tend to do these days is when we swap over a light, unless it is a light we already have, we get the electrician to install batten fixtures. The range of DIY lights that slip over a boring old batten fixture is increasing all the time. For a rental property, it means if a light is damaged, you don't need an electrician. You just buy another DIY fitting from Bunnings (or wherever) and swap it over.

We recently replaced our old horrible carpet and installed nylon grid pattern in charcoal. We used top quality underlay to help it feel nicer underfoot, and it feels as nice as the pure wool carpet it replaced, which was old, stained and had been eaten by moths. I would never buy pure wool again.

This photo shows our wardrobe doors, but you can see the carpet too. It has a sculpted grid pattern in the pile. I think we paid $1440 for three bedrooms in total. We got a very similar carpet in an IP we were selling and used the same company. We don't have any IPs with carpet but I can recommend this company for anybody in Brisbane or surrounds. They are based in Tweed Heads I think. Carpets on the Move.

Honestly, I should be wearing glasses but then when I take them off I really can't see. Still trying to get used to the idea.
I see the loo is all tiles. I'd definitely leave it that way. The loo is fine as is for now - agree with you. Maybe the lighting would be a good change.

Wylie's ideas are great, as usual.

Hi, the minimum I would do would be to paint, carpet and replace the bathroom vanity.

But you need to work out the costs of doing the reno, plus costs of having it empty plus costs of getting a new tenant.
The minimal amount probably won't increase the rent a great deal.

If it was mine I'd put a new bathroom and kitchen also.

You could paint the toilet tiles with tile paint but unless you are doing the bathroom it won't make much difference.

That makes a huge difference. But also costs more obviously.

It all comes down to money spent VS difference in value and rent.

Back