Reno Qs: How to modernise a federation style bathroom

I'm looking at a PPOR that has VERY federation style bathroom.

I'm considering my options
1. Jackhammer and bonfire and everything new and modern
2. Retile and keep fittings and somehow update the look

Current

image19.jpg

If I go with Option 2 then I'm wondering
1. Can I paint the burgundy part of the bath - it's a fibreglass (or something lightweight) bath. I'd like it all white or perhaps silver (see pictures below)

e9e129def92d89258d906a4b9ca6a0c3.jpg

2. Retile wall in grey marble herringbone (thanks The Block!)

4da0cbf4ac8883f551c49cf4188c4295.jpg

3. What to do with vanity? Leave as is? Repaint white? Marble top and new basins?
4. Cedar blinds will be replaced with white plantation shutters

I would paint everything white and leave no "wood". Then see if the tiles "lose " the tinge of colour that they seem to have now (cream?)

I reckon with white vanity (new top would help it) and white blinds and black trim this could start to look a bit french, more like the second photo.

Is this for PPOR?

That looks so nice I wouldn't change it.

If I had to I would probably rip everything out and start again as you have so much room you probably won't need anything custom made besides the blinds.

Does it have a shower & toilet?

I would paint everything white and leave no "wood". Then see if the tiles "lose " the tinge of colour that they seem to have now (cream?)

I reckon with white vanity (new top would help it) and white blinds and black trim this could start to look a bit french, more like the second photo.

Is this for PPOR?

Yup PPOR.

The cream ceilings really set off the cream everything :)

That looks so nice I wouldn't change it.

If I had to I would probably rip everything out and start again as you have so much room you probably won't need anything custom made besides the blinds.

Does it have a shower & toilet?

Shower is pretty plain - in that it's a glass cubicle but does have the matching tiles. Toilet is just visible on left and is a vintage style but not old.

OMG Westminister that bathroom is SO much like my current one it's not funny.... and we're also about to renovate! I'm taking the ripping out and starting anew option only because I'm moving walls, otherwise I'd refurb and do the following:

Retile floor (is it possible to go over the top rather than jackhammer?)
Resurface wall tiles and bath to all white (including picture rail height ones- or alternatively replace these with something more modern)
Paint window frame white and replace blinds with something lighter (or frost the glass)
Resurface timber cupboard doors (recently had a client do this to their timber kitchen and it makes SUCH a huge difference)
Replace vanity top with stone/marble
Replace vanity taps (I'd leave the bowls if white as they are modern enough)

Be very interested to see how it all goes- have fun!

Jacque - I love your style so I'll be waiting to see what you do. The house has 3 bathrooms like this, plus a kitchen and a lot of federation paintwork. Sigh! But lovely bones.

I like this feel for a different interpretation on federationesque but without all the frou frou and pictures :)

It inspires me to pain the vanity, use lots of white, make the bath all white (or white/silver) and retile. I'll have to check if I can tile over.

ce7ea32cca908a0772045461822b5bd9.jpg

Back