Reno tax deductable on IP?

Hi All, just trying to get my head around this.

For a tenanted IP, is a reno/improvment tax deductable, assuming that it will increase the rental income? For example adding a pergola, internal painting, or even extensions like a new double garage or bathroom?

Thanks!

Scott,

For things like internal painting is there a bit of a grey area regarding repair vs improvement? I've got an IP in which two of the bedrooms have wall paper that has been knocked around a bit, and is peeling in places. I'm considering paying to get the paper removed and then repainting. I've had the IP for almost 4 years now, so my view is that it should be a deductible cost since I am repairing damage done by tenants, although some of the peeling is probably just due to old age (the paper has been on there a while I think). What's your take on this situation?

John.

Hi John,

Yep, painting can be tricky. Painting done before a property is tenanted, is an 'improvement'.

Painting after tenants have been in there may be a repair, but painting a whole house after, say, 6 months tenancy is pushing the boundary.

With the wallpaper thing, I suspect it's one of those things where you have to make a judgement call - the ATO wouldn't be of much help of you phoned them.

There is an ATO decision that many people don't know about - ID 2002/330. It related to ripping up daggy carpet and polishing floors. The ATO deemed this a repair' because there was 'no change to the character or functionality of the property'.

I'm thinking this is similar to taking off that wallpaper. I would claim it as a repair, and if questioned explained you did so because of one of their Interpretative Decisions. I find if you can provide a logical (and referenced reason) for something, the ATO will generally respond in a logical and reasoned way. This isn't advice, but it's what I would do in your situation.

Scott

Yep, big renos are 'improvements'. The building work will depreciate at 2.5%pa, any Assets (fixtures and fittings) you add will depreciate more quickly.
Keep all your costs and your accountant will be able to sort it out.
Scott

Back