Renovating a unit

i am looking at renovating my unit in ryde nsw when my tennant moves out in the next few months, looking at doing the whole unit, eg bathroom kitchen bedrooms etc. Problem is i have never done this before and wouldnt have a cloue where to get started, i am also not the most creative person, so have had a look at interior designers who charge around $300. but really want to see if there are people who organise the project and run the whole thing, arranging the electricians, builders, plumbers, getting the goods and so on. If anyone has any experience with them or knows of any and how much id be looking at i would appreciate it

Cheers

Yep, I know someone who could handle this for you. I won't post their details here, but if you send me an email I'll give you their number.

i am looking at renovating my unit in ryde nsw when my tennant moves out in the next few months, looking at doing the whole unit, eg bathroom kitchen bedrooms etc. Problem is i have never done this before and wouldnt have a cloue where to get started, i am also not the most creative person, so have had a look at interior designers who charge around $300. but really want to see if there are people who organise the project and run the whole thing, arranging the electricians, builders, plumbers, getting the goods and so on. If anyone has any experience with them or knows of any and how much id be looking at i would appreciate it

Cheers

Shahabr, ........ I've recently finished a complete reno of a unit we owned. I did all the work myself and made a good profit from the project, but what made it feasable was that I did all the work myself. This saved many thousands of dollars on labour cost.

I gutted the place and completely refitted including updating bathroom, new kitchen (flat-pack), plus floor coverings, blinds, tiling, vanity, security door, built in robe unit, flyscreens, painting etc .... I managed to do this for $9500. The return on investment was $45,000 - $50,000 in growth and $60 per week increase in rent, so worth doing.

If you don't have the time or skills to do the work and have to pay tradesman then the cost can really blow out and not make it worthwhile .... You really need to cost the project first to see if its worth the effort and going to give you the desired increased rental yield and capital growth versus cost.

This is where I'd start before getting in an interior designer, ... talk to tradies, get quotes. This will give you an approx cost ... The tradies will also guide you as to what to do in the right order. When you've got all the figures in front of you only then will you know if the project is worth doing.

Good luck

Martin

thanks for all the info, looks like i have to do some research, but depriciator might send you an email tomorrow and get those details.

i would love to take the project on and do it myself but dont trust my handy work, i know it will probably cost me an extra $5000 for labour but dont really have a choice. Martin sounds like your reno was a great success, was it your first time? have you done many before?

thanks for all the info, looks like i have to do some research, but depriciator might send you an email tomorrow and get those details.

i would love to take the project on and do it myself but dont trust my handy work, i know it will probably cost me an extra $5000 for labour but dont really have a choice. Martin sounds like your reno was a great success, was it your first time? have you done many before?

If the numbers work with tradies doing the work then great, .... I suppose the main point I was making was to ensure the return on investment is there for the strategy that works for you.

I do my own reno's at present as I want to maximise the return, .... there will be a time when I project manage the work, but at present I enjoy the challange.

I'm an ex house painter (stopped back in 1982). I built the house we are currently living in and have completed 3 reno's over many years dating back to around 1987.

Anyway ... I'm sure your project will be a great experience, ....

Martin

I haven't got the name of anyone who can help you unfortunately - but I do highly recommend paying professionals to do the work for you.

There are three main reasons I say this:
a) You will get a much more professional looking finish (which will ensure you add the value you want to add to the property)
b) You will not get bogged down with trying to reno your property while you live life as normal - time for family commitments, social etc.. let alone the stress it can cause if you're not experienced!
c) By the time you spend the time to renovate the property yourself (and pay the extra holding/mortgage costs you will inccur) you may just as well have paid someone to do the reno for you. Here is a link to an article that gives an example of the DIY vs pay professionals argument... https://hotspaceconsultants.worldsecuresystems.com/pdf/How Long Should My Renovation Take.pdf

Hope that's useful.

There was a member who did a reno diary for a unit they reno'd in Melbourne.

Don't have time to find the posts but the member is female and a chemist who has now moved to the central coast (NSW). Maybe someone can find and insert a link as it will certainly give you a good visual idea of whats involved.

Cheers

PS found it

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29085

Last edited:
i am also not the most creative person, so have had a look at interior designers who charge around $300.

Shahabr,
From my experience I'd advise not to engage an interior designer for an ip.. I'm not sure what your budget is, but I'd be surprised if any interior designer could make a scheme work on a property investors budget, while still making the project profitable. After all, they make most of their money on the commission on the furnishings..

some great stuff here, thanks guys!!

i think i will get a professional to do it, as some of you mentioned there are a few positives which suit me more, than the disadvatages.

would you say the best way to find a builder in ryde is through yellow pages and google, does any one have one they have used before.

Jens diary and thread looks fantastic! however it will take me some time to look through and read it all :) 17 pages

ive got some work to do, again thank you for all your help

I have run most of my renos myself until recently when distance prevented it and it drove me crazy - being the control freak I am. However there is definitely a benefit in engaging a professional.

I have paid $250 for an interior decorator and have used the colour scheme 8 times so yes I see the value.

There is 2 project managers I recommend in Sydney

Kade Hancock - Home Projectz www.homeprojectz.com.au I suspect that Kade can actually do a reno quicker and cheaper than I can

Kade Hancock 0414 260 177
and
John Vella 0416 268 745

Best of luck. Sometimes success just comes from recognising your own limitations and engaging someone else with the strengths to make you a success.

John Vella

I have run most of my renos myself until recently when distance prevented it and it drove me crazy - being the control freak I am. However there is definitely a benefit in engaging a professional.

I have paid $250 for an interior decorator and have used the colour scheme 8 times so yes I see the value.

There is 2 project managers I recommend in Sydney

Kade Hancock - Home Projectz www.homeprojectz.com.au I suspect that Kade can actually do a reno quicker and cheaper than I can

Kade Hancock 0414 260 177
and
John Vella 0416 268 745

Best of luck. Sometimes success just comes from recognising your own limitations and engaging someone else with the strengths to make you a success.

John Vella

Beware of the Homeprojectz ones. Our friends have all sorts of issues with their bathroom and living room floors and they found the company had no licence. They then found they were getting around Home Warranty Insurance as well.
Pay peanuts, get monkeys I guess.

Jen-

For reno's just go and have a look around what looks nice at a reasonable price etc. Buy most things yourself and then use a handyman etc to do the work. For colours, get some quotes from painters out of the TWT or Northern District Times (local papers) and they will suggest some neutral / generic colours.

Keep in mind that it is a IP so something that is durable yet smart looking would be the key. No need for fancy kitchen or fancy patterned tiles.

This is the method my two brothers (PPOR) and I used (IP) in kitchen and bathroom renovations.

Painting an IP

I am currently overseas and will return to Sydney next May. I have a 3 bedroom townhouse in Sydney that has been rented out for the last 6 years. I intend to shift into the property but would like to have it painted internally. Can anyone give me an guesstimation on the cost of having a 3 beddie/2 storey townhouse painted? I honestly haven't a clue how much it will cost. Also a recommendation on a painter would be great.

Thank you

Bobby

if you don't have handy ability then i do recommend getting a professional in to do the "putting back". however, even the most unhandy person can save lots of $$ by doing the ripping out.

i refuse to pay $50/hr for someone to rip up carpet and take out kitchen cabinets, and i refuse to pay for someone to paint stock standard internal walls for me (but i do get them in for roofs, scaffold work etc) - however - don't touch the plumbing or electrical unless you are licenced!

so, i do the ripping out and prep work, and labour for my tradies, but i do get the trades in to do an expert job (tiler, plumber, electrician), as i just don't do things like tiling often enough to be really good at it.

flat pack kitchen are really really easy to put together. all you need is a cordless drill and a spirit level.

painting

Thanks Lizzie,

The townhouse will be empty when I get back, I plan to have it painted and then new carpet put in. I guess I would like to have it done ASAP as we have been away a few years...it's a 2 storey 3 beddie townhouse and I am just looking for a ballpark figure

thanks

Bobby

We just bought a townhouse and it will settle later in Dec.

The kitchen is all the same laminex - benchtop and cupboard doors. There is nothing wrong with the kitchen except the aesthetics.

Is it worth recovering/replacing the benchtops? (I dont want to do a crappy job and make the place look worse) . The rent is $300 a week, perfectly average.

If it is currently rented for "average" rent, then I would leave it alone. Replaceing a benchtop would not, in my opinion, bring in more rent, unless the existing one is falling apart.

Back