Renovating Blog - Regional NSW

Hi all,

I've always been an avid reader of the renovating blogs, so I thought I'd add my own to keep myself accountable and hopefully get some advice from all you lovely people.

The house - 3 bedroom home offering separate lounge, modern electric kitchen with dishwasher, high 9ft ceilings and polished Murray Pine floorboards, Gas heating plus reverse cycle air conditioner, Single garage with storeroom. Bought about 18 months ago and in desperate need of a renovation (bought with tenant in situ). Photos attached from original listing.

The situation - I had been planning to do a full renovation at the end of the tenant's lease (January), and so had been slowly making plans. Just found out today that the tenant is having to break their lease (long story), and so the renovation is to be moved up!

The plan -
  • Completely paint throughout - Hogsbristle quarter on walls, ceiling white, skirtings and architraves white
  • Tiling - Bathroom, Laundry and 'Indoor Verandah' thing
  • Paint External - Get rid of all mission brown. I'm thinking a forest green colour for the guttering and garage door. I'd love some idea on how to get rid of the brown on the brickwork at the base of the house. Paint? Stone cladding?
  • Kitchen - New cabinets and benchtops, new oven and rangehood. Dishwasher is new, only replaced about 6 months ago
  • Bathroom - New cabinets. Spray tiles?
  • Window Furnishings - Replace all window funishings with white aluminium venetian blinds

The question - What would you do to brighten up this place? Doesn't need to be to a really high spec, and I'd like to get the best bang for my buck!

Going Forward - I'll be blogging all of the journey from start to finish, including photos where possible, so come along for the ride!

Cheers, Erin.

Attachments

• Bardia 1.jpg
    Bardia 1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Bardia 2.jpg
    Bardia 2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Bardia 3.jpg
    Bardia 3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Bardia 4.jpg
    Bardia 4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Bardia 5.jpg
    Bardia 5.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
More Photos

More photos due to posting limits.

Attachments

• Bardia 6.jpg
    Bardia 6.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Bardia 7.jpg
    Bardia 7.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Bardia 9.jpg
    Bardia 9.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 85
  • Bardia 10.jpg
    Bardia 10.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Bardia 13.jpg
    Bardia 13.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 88
Hi
The question - What would you do to brighten up this place? Doesn't need to be to a really high spec, and I'd like to get the best bang for my buck!

Just painting it (getting rid of all that cream and brown) and changing the cabinets will brighten it up so so much, you'll be amazed! :)

Do mean horizontal blinds (venetians)? I can't picture aluminum vertical blinds?? We have vertical blinds in one of our IP's, but they're more like a fabric.

What budgets are you working with for everything?

Good luck, it will look great once it's all completed, will be following closely and can't wait to see the after shots :D

Just painting it (getting rid of all that cream and brown) and changing the cabinets will brighten it up so so much, you'll be amazed! :)

Do mean horizontal blinds (venetians)? I can't picture aluminum vertical blinds?? We have vertical blinds in one of our IP's, but they're more like a fabric.

What budgets are you working with for everything?

Good luck, it will look great once it's all completed, will be following closely and can't wait to see the after shots :D

Hi Bandita,

I agree, painting will definitely make a huge difference.

And I do mean venetians, thank you, I'll edit the original post now.

I'm still doing up the costings, but I'm trying to keep the budget as low as possible. My family is from the area and we will be doing most of the work ourselves, plus hiring the local handyman for a few days to help us out with the more difficult things.

A few points :

What% of the work are you doing?
Your estimated budget
Before and after equity estimates
Location?

Hi Truly Exotic,

• What% of the work are you doing? - We will be doing the majority of work ourselves (plus handyman), with the exception of the tiling.
  • Your estimated budget - Still doing the costings now, but keeping it as low as possible.
  • Before and after equity estimates - currently valued at $152,500 (purchase price 2013), rental $220 per week. Renovated estimation $180,000-$200,000, rental $260 per week.
  • Location - Albury/Wodonga

And I do mean venetians, thank you, I'll edit the original post now.

Cool, I would install the timber white venetians if you can (instead of aluminum), the ready made ones don't cost much more and look great - we just put some in, the ready made ones from Spotlight, I LOVE them! Look great, and cheap cheap cheap! :D Custom might be more, not sure. At the time Bunnings was abit more $ for their timber venetians than Spotlight, but that could be different now too, that was about 6 months ago.....Spotlight usually do a 30-40% off blinds every few months and that's when to grab them :D

Cool, I would install the timber white venetians if you can (instead of aluminum), the ready made ones don't cost much more and look great - we just put some in, the ready made ones from Spotlight, I LOVE them! Look great, and cheap cheap cheap! :D Custom might be more, not sure. At the time Bunnings was abit more $ for their timber venetians than Spotlight, but that could be different now too, that was about 6 months ago.....Spotlight usually do a 30-40% off blinds every few months and that's when to grab them :D

Thanks Bandita!

I'll definitely look into the timber ones. I've got mum on window dressing duty for this renovation.

I did see that Spotlight had 50% off when I looked last week, but didn't worry too much about it because we weren't doing the reno until January. Hopefully that sale is still on!

Thanks Bandita!

I'll definitely look into the timber ones. I've got mum on window dressing duty for this renovation.

I did see that Spotlight had 50% off when I looked last week, but didn't worry too much about it because we weren't doing the reno until January. Hopefully that sale is still on!

I just checked the Spotlight website and front page: 40% off timber Venetian blinds! Sale until September 8th, so hopefully we can get in to measure soon.

Nice little place eeho!

Yeah it'll look so good once you get rid of the banana yellow.
Actually, I like the bathroom though - apart from the walls and the curtain/blind, and maybe the cupboards. I'd be tempted to leave the bath and loo alone if all functioning well. I don't mind those old coloured baths and sinks etc.
It's a really good place - just a paint inside and out - can be cheap, time-consuming, enjoyable and results-oriented.
Have fun!

Nice little place eeho!

Yeah it'll look so good once you get rid of the banana yellow.
Actually, I like the bathroom though - apart from the walls and the curtain/blind, and maybe the cupboards. I'd be tempted to leave the bath and loo alone if all functioning well. I don't mind those old coloured baths and sinks etc.
It's a really good place - just a paint inside and out - can be cheap, time-consuming, enjoyable and results-oriented.
Have fun!

Thanks WattleIDo,

I agree with the bathroom, although its the crappy curtain that is making it all banana yellow, it is actually more of a cream colour. We also had to replace the tap ware recently, so they are all new. I'm tossing up between just repainting that bathroom cupboard, or taking it down, installing a big wall mirror and changing the vanity to one with storage. We will also be ripping out the crappy lino in the bathroom and tiling, which will make a big difference I think.

Hi Truly Exotic,

• What% of the work are you doing? - We will be doing the majority of work ourselves (plus handyman), with the exception of the tiling.
  • Your estimated budget - Still doing the costings now, but keeping it as low as possible.
  • Before and after equity estimates - currently valued at $152,500 (purchase price 2013), rental $220 per week. Renovated estimation $180,000-$200,000, rental $260 per week.
  • Location - Albury/Wodonga

Very good, sounds like my first Reno

We did DIY with a tradir to help us, we did paint, new kitchen, new bathroom, tile there rooms, gutted backyard, landscaped front yard, new light fixtures, new blinds, for 15k, you should be able to do the same unless you go over lard

Good luck

Hi eeho,

Im guessing this one is in North Albury by the looks of it?

I'm local and just completed a similar project over the border in Wodonga...

Let me know if you want any local info etc, more than happy to help.

The best thing about renovating on the Border is having two bunnings!

Hi eeho,

Im guessing this one is in North Albury by the looks of it?

I'm local and just completed a similar project over the border in Wodonga...

Let me know if you want any local info etc, more than happy to help.

The best thing about renovating on the Border is having two bunnings!

Hi Poppy Jane,

Bingo!

I actually went to high school in Lavington, and my parents live in Wodonga; but thank you so much for the offer, I will give you a shout out if we need any more local knowledge!

Update time!

So we are in limbo at the moment because the tenant is refusing to officially end her lease until she has a new house to move into, but is now up to date with the rent and is no longer residing in the property (but her stuff is all still there).

What does this mean - We don't have a set date for the renovation, so I can't book trades or flights, but I still have my fingers crossed for the third week of September

The good news - we do have access to the property to do an assessment and measuring (although I can't be there in person). So my step-dad and the handyman are picking up the keys and heading over Tuesday morning to:

• Measure all the windows
  • Measure the areas to be tiled
  • Measure the kitchen area
  • Assessing the house for what else needs to be fixed so we can have everything on hand for when we can get in there

Next steps
  • Quotes for tiling
  • Purchase new blinds before the Spotlight 40% off sale ends
  • Get onto the Bunnings website to plan and order the kitchen

Questions
  • Anyone have any other recommendations for a cheap kitchen suite for the Albury/Wodonga area other than Bunnings? Note - no Ikea or greysonline in the area

Questions
  • Anyone have any other recommendations for a cheap kitchen suite for the Albury/Wodonga area other than Bunnings? Note - no Ikea or greysonline in the area

given our price point and being an IP

it may be worth to drive to ikea, and get a courier to ship it, I get my kitchens stupidly cheap from ikea and have shipped from VIC to NSW before

given our price point and being an IP

it may be worth to drive to ikea, and get a courier to ship it, I get my kitchens stupidly cheap from ikea and have shipped from VIC to NSW before

Thanks Truly Exotic,

I've also found http://www.cabinets-online.com.au/ might also be an option too after searching the forum.

Looks like I've got my plate full on my night shift Tuesday night once I get the measurements looking through the Ikea, Bunnings and Cabinets-online websites!

[*] Anyone have any other recommendations for a cheap kitchen suite for the Albury/Wodonga area other than Bunnings? Note - no Ikea or greysonline in the area
[/LIST]

Do you have a Masters near you? I'm sure Bunnings will do you fine if not, what price are you looking at?

Back