Renovating long distance

Hello at the Forum,

I am a fairly new investor and have a unit in Brisbane, but live in Canberra. The unit is about 11 yrs old and needs a bit of reno - paint, kitchen repairs, curtains etc. The problem is, I don't have the time to go there and supervise. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? Would an interior decorator be the way to go, to select colours, materials etc and would they then normally supervise the work?

More generally, do most of you experienced investors out there have your properties locally, where you can keep an eye on them?

Thanks in anticipation,
David

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

David
You will find that an interior decorator may be fine for choosing colours and soft furnishings, but in my experience, is not the right person to supervise the job.
Also a decorator is probably an unnesecary expense.
You may find your managing agent will handle the supervision of tradespeople, but then what do they know about renovation???
This is one of the benefits of investing in your home territory.
Michael Yardney
Metropole Properties

Reply: 2

How bout I buy it from you instead?

I'm an ex Brissie boy now working in Sydney, but my parents are in Brisbane and are coordinating a reno for me at the moment.

feel free to take this off line if you're interested [email protected]

Otherwise, I suggest that flights are relatively cheap at the moment. Why don't you organise several trade people to come and give quotes on a particular day - tell them if they're not there on time they won't get the job.

Then have your agent do all the access arrangements for the reno and then when its done fly up again to check it out, point out defects to be rectified etc and don't pay the balance until they're done!

The cost of a couple of flights will keep YOU in control - and that's important when there's no-one you can trust on the ground.

Cheers
N.

Reply: 2.1

Not rocket science! You should have an idea of colours (I almost always use white paint for units) almost any colour of curtain will go with that. Your property manager should have a good idea what works anyway. If it doesn't appeal to you, it certainly doesn't mean it won't to anyone. Get a reputable Kitchen company and choose more or less what you want from display centres. Then send them around for measurements. the rest is little stuff! Doesn't seem too difficult to me!

Reply: 3

David,
I didn't mention the obvious solution. Leave Canberra.

Reply: 3.1

Best colour in the whole world is Dulux Iced Peach - get them to dig it out for you from older paint mix charts or match it. Use flat on ceilings, washable satin on walls, gloss on woodwork - looks fantastic. I do everything this colour (including my place) and no fewer than 3 lots of tenants have asked me for the colour this past 12 months to paint their own future homes!!

Michele

Reply: 3.1.1

Jeremy is right- flights aren't too dear and this is exactly what I'm planning to do with my Brissy property (which I will soon be purchasing)- one trip get all quotes, next trip check out work and leave all the tradesmen comings and goings to the managing agent.
Helps if you have a contact in Brissy in case anything needs looking at in a major way. I like the idea of not paying tradesmen the full balance until job is inspected. If they don't like that idea, don't employ them. There are plenty of tradesmen out there who would want the job otherwise! Have fun- Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 3.1.2

White is not a hard colour to match. 4 year old Peach Chocolate Mocha or whatever it was sometimes is! White makes _everything_ look bigger. Darker walls makes roof seem higher, darker roof makes walls seem further apart, ceiling lower! Michele's vast holdings are mainly land and shrubberies (she needs a 4wd with long range tanks to get to some of her front gates) - so I wouldn't listen to her interior decorating ideas if I were you:) I agree with the brand though - only use Dulux. It costs more but is way way better.

Reply: 3.1.2.1

A word on paint, I use exterior grade vinyls such as Dulux X10 or Sola Guard satin for the interiors. Lasts for ever, is scrubable and holds colour longer being exterior paint (makes touch ups less visible). Works a treat in wet areas too.

Michael Croft
"The best parachute folders are those who jump themselves."

Reply: 4

Thanks everyone.

I guess I got the message I should have expected - noone will look after my interests like I will, so I should get myself up there and put the effort in.

Jeremy - your obvious solution (I presume you mean leave Canberra permanently) is the one I am working on, by investing. :)

Jacque - do you have any idea how the tax man will view your multiple trips in quick succession? I assume you would want to claim them, but isn't there a limit to the number of inspection trips per year? Or does this fall outside the 'inspection' guidelines?

The advice on paint is appreciated, too. It looks like something that could start a debate on the side all by itself. :)

Speaking of debates, what is the opinion on curtains vs vertical blinds. Verticals seem to get recommended by the 'low maintenance' (dare I say impersonal) property investors, but I wonder if they detract from the homey appeal that tenants might appreciate.

Cheers,
David

Reply: 4.1

Just a point we noticed as we just finished our first reno in Brissy. Don't let them know you're from out of state, you tend to get some ridiculous numbers. :)

Good luck

Reply: 4.1.1

Aha, two-tier renovating as well. I'll watch out for it.
Thanks,
David

Reply: 5

Don't do it whatever you do.
When I was in the navy I had to do a course in Melbourne at short notice midway through organizing contractors to do some work at a new rental property.
two things happened
1) I got ripped off.
2) The jobs were substandard.
Normally when renovating there is about 100 things you forget to take into consideration (unless you are very experienced), times that by 50 if you don't see the property every night.
Here is a quick question:
You organise a painter to paint your unit, you have decided on a nice colour, and have paid a deposit for work to be carried out.
The painter realizes he does not have that colour or it is more expensive than the 50 litres he has left over from another job in his van that looks sort of similar.
Then the painter realizes your walls are extremely dirty, and the existing paint is starting to flake.
Does the painter
A) Inform you of the problems.and
B) Buy the paint you requested.
or
C) Paint the unit using the leftovers from another job, straight over the already blistering and chipped paint on walls that are oily and smoke stained because he knows full well the bloke who is paying him to do the job is in another state, and probably won't see the work for another 6 months,by which time he would have forgotten which colour he picked, and even if he does complain enough time has passed to blame it on the tenants and or dampness or something else. Easy Money!!!

Reply: 5.1

David H,
Re verticals vs curtains, my property manager in Canberra tells me her tenants seem to prefer curtains to verticals. In Canberra this is probably more practical as well as you keep more heat in at night. The other thing she told me was to not get the "rubber-backed" type of curtain material as it degrades and cracks eventually (and is difficult to wash). She suggested separately lined curtains which can then be washed in a washing machine. Just pick "classic" plain colour curtains which will have a wide appeal over the medium term rather than todays fashion craze which is passe in 2 years.

My Canberra rental property has curtains and they seem to look classier than verticals I think. I have heard conflicting opinions on whether one or the other are more "kid-resistant" - my property manager says the chains and weights get broken and lost, and although easy to fix/replace, tenants certainly don't do it, hence her preference for curtains.

My house in QLD is a different thing - I have verticals in that, but nice textured "cloth-looking" plain-coloured ones. I added a pelmet treatment over the tops, which really dresses them up and can be changed in future years as fashions change. The pelmet is also well out of kids reach so the only maintenance is washing them every so often. They are attached via velcro to the edge of a wooden "ledge" installed with small metal right-angle brackets above the top of the verticals. Truth is, this was my own home for a while & the pelmet treatments were installed to please me. I left them in place as they were very popular with my first tenants (the current tenant - only the second set - have been there 5 years so I guess they must like them too).

Cedar blinds look pretty good too & very modern (but get the ones that don't warp in the sun - some cheap wooden blinds apparently do). They don't insulate as well as curtains though.

Regards
JMF

Reply: 5.1.1

David, you were right about the trips being non tax-deductible before you purchase the property, but after you settle- it's a different matter. Speak to your accountant about how many trips are allowable per year- I'm sure there are some limits imposed. BTW, timber venetians look great - much better than verticals, and are low maintenance. I got imitation ones put in my unit's kitchen- look like timber but are actually good quality plastic. Timber ones in the bedroom. The tenants were impressed and they are very modern looking, as well as being timeless. Good luck , Jacque :)

PS: With the painting tradesmen suggestions, pick a good painter and put it in writing in his contract what his price involves ie: sugar soaping and hole filling all surfaces to be painted, two coats of Dulux (or whatever brand you want)to be applied etc. If I were you I'd buy the paint and calculate how much is needed beforehand, to avoid being ripped off. Some painters try to use inferior products instead.

Reply: 5.1.1.1

Hi there.
I have a business associate in Brisbane, who along with myself, buy fix and sell properties. Our turnaround is usually 3 weeks from settlement.
She is very good at what she does and is happy to manage the project for you for a small fee.

Please email me direct for more details.
Cheers,
Sam Vannutini.

Reply: 5.1.1.1.1

I seem to be replacing verticals in my hovels every 5 minuntes. I am slowly taking them out of circulation. They look cheap too!

Reply: 5.1.1.1.1.1

Jeremy, your complaining about something looking to cheap in a hovel?

hovel // noun 1. a small, mean dwelling house; a wretched hut. 2. an open shed, as for sheltering cattle, tools, etc. [Middle English hovel, hovyl]

TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 5.1.1.1.1.1.1

TW - All hovels are hovels! BTW I worked out for you my average hovel price is $528k. FYI!

Back