Renovation fever

With every man and his dog seeming to be a renovation these days I was wondering who actually teaches people how to find a property that can be renovated for a profit and how to actually do the renovation and what renovations you should do ?

Like most people I've heard of Cherie Barber but haven;t really heard of any other names. Who else teaches this ?

Cheers

T.G

This forum is a great resource. As with most investing, the basic strategies are buy low sell high and spend a dollar to make two.

It's about ensuring your costs are less than the value of the finished product. The first of these variables can be calculated through a detailed feasibility study coupled with hard negotiating and the latter is based on the market.

Cherie Barber is the main one I think. Her course is very detailed and gives you insightes into how to choose an area, property etc. She also details colours and styling.
She advocates using tradies (not DIY) but there's no reason why you can't DIY if you are confident. She gives participants a discount card for goods (not sure of the value of this, she claims the bulk buying gets a good price which sounds feasable).
There are lots of people out there following her formula ( you can tell by the colours):D

There are other courses that people have done in the past and you can usually pick up a copy of the DVD's.

As you said though, it seems everyone is now into reno's. A few years ago poorly presented properties sat waiting for me to make low offers. Now people are paying near fully reno'ed prices. Crazy!:confused:

Depends on you whether you need to do a course. We never did. But if I was doing high end reno's I'd need to do more research. We have only done bread and butter type stuff.

With every man and his dog seeming to be a renovation these days I was wondering who actually teaches people how to find a property that can be renovated for a profit and how to actually do the renovation and what renovations you should do ?

Like most people I've heard of Cherie Barber but haven;t really heard of any other names. Who else teaches this ?

Cheers

T.G

Try looking up Jane Slack Smith, she runs some online course/s, she goes by "Buzz" on the forum and was very helpful when I contacted her

what colours are those, travelbug?

Her classic cookie cutter exterior colour template can be seen from her website. http://www.renovatingforprofit.com.au/content/about-cherie-and-her-projects
I mean if it ain't broken don't fix it right?? Haha
It's all about finding a colour scheme that gives a broad general appeal so buyers and working with that. Unless you like spending the time and have the passion to choose new colours with every IP.

What she can do with a property is astounding but what is stressed the most in her workshop is due diligence, you'll never make any money if you get that first step wrong and offer too much. Like everyone has been saying, buy "cheap".

Cheers

T.G

She covers most of the things so what else you need to learn? Just remember theory is one thing and practice another? Start with one, and on each project you will learn.....

Thanks Erica and DexV2
:)

Yes, she goes to detail into colours too. In the last 2 years I have painted about 3 properties using her colour schemes and I must admit most people do like them.... I purchased external colours today for wooden window frames.
I must admit I have learned heapssssssssss from her renovation workshop, but nothing beats the practice in real world so good luck!:)

Back