Renovation of a PPOR - where to start. Help!

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone could please offer some insights into the renovation process as we are totally 'green' in this area.

We have recently acquired a home that needs some work to get it up to todays standards. We have renovated small scale before, not to this level and as this is a home we plan on spending a few good years in, want to ensure we do it right.

First project will be a complete renovation of the bathroom, laundry and kitchen.

My question is who do I need and in what order to organise? I have some ideas and know what style we like but would potentially like to get someone in to go through these and offer suggestions - do these kind of people exist and who am I looking for? What to expect to pay? Is this a builder type job? And if it is any recs for a builder with vision would be great!

Obviously will be getting some quotes on kitchens (any recs for kitchen people much appreciated!).

The bathroom situation stumps me as we want to move some internal walls/ doors leaving all in the same general area just a new layout. Who do I need for this? A carpenter? Plumber? Tiler, Anyone else? (Again, any recs for Melbourne based people would be great!)

Also, what would you budget for a complete kitchen overhaul (not a huge area), plus two small bathrooms (one being an ensuite)?

Any advice or suggestions you could offer would also be much appreciated!

The first thing you need is a solid idea of what you want. When you get a builder or tradies around to the house they aren't going to want to spend hours listening to all of the possibilities you have imagined and decisions that you have yet to finalise. Decide exactly where you want sinks, vanities, rails, showers, baths, mirrors, walls and doors.

You need to finalise your budget so you know exactly how much you can afford to spend. Add 20% for contingencies and the 'had to have it' factor.

By the sounds of it you wont need any approvals though I have no idea what you're job entails so I could just as well be wrong.

Figure out how much of the work you will be doing yourself and make a list of the people you want to do the rest. You can engage a builder who will oversee the subcontractors or you can engage them individually. There are pros and cons of each - one example is scheduling and and ability to supervise the construction while you're at work - I'm sure you can think of others.

Get quotes. Then get some more quotes. Get references because a lot of flashy builders are sh%&house. Plan for contingencies like a temporary toilet or shower although it seems like you can do one at a time so it shouldn't be a problem.

Decide on a builder or your team of subbies and begin.

My advice is to be decisive. This gives people confidence in your ability and gives you authority, it eliminates ambiguity and people won't get frustrated because how can hey know what you want if you don't know what you want.

Allow for extra time and money.

Take the time during the preparation stage. People only see progress when tiles are being laid or vanities are installed but an hour during the planning stage is just as important as an hour laying tiles. In fact its more important because one hour of planning can save you far more than that in preventable mishaps and preparation for what is to come.

Once you start, commit to it and don't complain to the tradies that you you're 'forced to use the guest bathroom'. They will charge you a minimum 10% pretentious fee. I know I would.

We are going through exqactly the same thing and I had the same question until I read this:
http://www.allenandunwin.com/default.aspx?page=94&book=9781741146295

I bought it from Bunnings and it's been amazing.

There is a woman who offers a service that may be useful for you. Her name is Jane and she runs a business called Hotspace. Her username here is Jane - Hotspace I think. This is her website:
http://www.hotspaceconsultants.com/property_investors

The other thing we've considered is to get an Archicentre architect consultation. Costs $1275 for a renovation consult and they draw up plans for you and give you advice on what is feasible (or $695 for just a consult/feasibility with no plans). Depends on what you can afford really.

Good luck!! I know how you feel.

Jeremy thanks so much, some great advice there!
Will definitely be getting lots of quotes. We have budgeted abbout $35K for this reno.
I have a good idea about what I want, colour schemes etc. though it would be great to get someone elses insight into the floorplan as there may be a better way.
Any recs on tradies?

kkgirl thanks for your reply - I'll be looking into this book and an Archicentre consult doesn't sound like a bad idea. Have you started your reno? Found anyone you can recommend?

Last edited:
Order -

Strip all rooms bare.

Get in Electrician/Plumber as required to decommission/remove/cap any services. Have them relocated/add new tube outs for services as required (new taps, new gpos etc.)

Cabinet carcass only installs (no doors etc).

Stone measure if using stone, if not insist polyfilm on benchtops. Stone is nicer but slower, laminex cheaper but faster.

Sani plumbing, install any baths required, centralise wastes etc. Not a necessity and depends on your bathroom/kitchen. If you have a trough/cabinet combo they can install this now in the laundry.

Tiler screed on any floors that need doing, build hobs as required.

Waterproofing once screed dry. Very important for obvious reasons. I always use a waterproofer over a tiler. They guarantee it and generally do a better job.

Tiler can now tile, except over benchtops if stone, as this will be a 10 day lead time normally. I suggest waiting it out, getting stone in before tiler comes in. Easier for all.

Measure of shower screens/mirrors/glass splashbacks booked for day tiler will complete. Can be a 10 day wait for install so be proactive.

Electrical/plumbing finals. Note, the electrician will not ticket the job until showerscreens are installed, so make sure these are in before having the electrician in to save on return trips. Plumber can fit off all taps etc in the mean time.

Note, I am in WA so may differ depending on state.

KKgirl have you used Hotspace? How was there services, was it worth it, what was the pricing like? I was thinking of using them for our Reno.
Cheers:)

Back