Renovation to Strata apartment

Hi,

We are currently going through settlement for an investment property in NSW. First time ever dealing with strata.

We plan on doing a complete reno, from floors to kitchen to bathroom and built ins. To save a bit of time, i informed the property manager on exchange hoping that we would be set to go on settlement.

Our to be property manager has sought approval from the committee and received it. The only problem, she is now insisting on new By laws for everything, from the kitchen to the built in robes....I understand the bathroom, but kitchen renovation? i queried if others in the block have had to organise by laws for renovations, she says probably not however we need to enforce and display the correct procedure......basically at our cost. (i believe she is new to the company managing our apartment)

This doesn't sound right, her solicitor has confirmed it and can write up the by laws for 1k (including registration). Once written up, we need to call a meeting (at a cost) to get the by laws endorsed before they get entered into 'law'. This cannot take place until we settle.....looking at $1200 for this process.

We want to do the right thing but they certainly do not make it easy.

Any experience out there of similar scenario's?

The first property I bought also has very difficult body corporate managers managing it but still not as bad as this. Check the current bylaws now and see what it contains in relation to renovation. We only had to get approval if it affects the common property.

in victoria, any apartment (non-service apartment) can be altered in terms of non-structural renovations, such as floors (subject to materials) used, bathroom, kitchen subject to proper plumbing and electrical certificates provided to the owners corp.

For any renovations that is reflected on the outside such as blinds, or floodlights on the balcony, that is required to have approval from the owners corp manager

to restrict someone to enjoy his private space is actually illegal as as long as it does break any building regulation codes.

Strata's can be a real pain to deal with. I'm not surprised at the process they've outlined - I actually thought the cost would be higher too.

Cheers

Jamie

I was also of the understanding that you can change things inside as long as it doesn't adversely affect others.
I.e. the floor should have sufficient underlay to help reduce noise (if you're changing it, that is).
Other than that, it's all yours...:confused:
Strata gets involved when it's the more external stuff like air-conditioning, balconies, external paint colours, windows, doors, buzzers. If you do renos, you set the new standard - but a meeting with the executive committee could see them agreeing to pay for the new by-laws or at least coming to the party a bit.
For example, at one meeting I was in, I said I'd like to put in an air-conditioner. The strata manager/chair suggested we make a new by-law for air-cons so that no more dodgy ones can be put in. To be paid by all.
At the same meeting, another couple wanted to put in sliding shutters on their balcony. We all agreed and that they would create the by-law and we all would pay. Or did we agree to pay half?
(I can't even remember because I still haven't done the air-con and they still haven't done the shutters.)
I would ask for a meeting to be called and bring up the fact that you think you should be able to reno as you like inside within reason. Surely others think the same way.
A meeting is the go.

A new by-law should come from the Owners Corp fees that you will contribute to. The exec committee will need to approve the new by-law before you go any further. This is my understanding or how I think it should be. For you to pay the costs, that's just crazy.

Make sure your flooring underlay meets their standards. The last thing you want is to put in flooring and the below unit complains of noise, you will need to address the noise or rip it out.

I agree with starter, get a copy of the current by laws or call the strata directly to find out. I have assisted with a few kitchen/bathroom/flooring renos in unit blocks and haven't heard of having to re-write a by law.

Back