Renovation while tenant is still in property

Morning All,

Im looking to do some non structural renovations like new kitchen, paint, new flooring and built ins on my Perth unit. Im currently receiving good rent and given the higher vacancy rates currently in Perth Im reluctant to move my tenant on to do this.

Just seeking advice on if you would recommend me doing some of the renovations in steps whilst the tenant is there? ie kitchen and maybe built ins. The tenant has said they are OK with having kitchen replaced whilst they are living there. I would then complete the flooring, paint etc when I move the tenant on in another year or so.

The other alternative is I do it in 1 hit when I have the tenant vacate in maybe 12 to 18 months when I will be confident of finding a new tenant after the renovations are finished.

Im just concerned I may devalue the renovation if I do it in stages rather then upfront with the property vacated.

Thoughts please?

Cheers

I've done it before, but it was just a paint job. I wanted to replace the carpet too but that was just a bridge too far. When the tenant moved in the walls were a mess. The last tenant left grime and scratches etc.

But the new tenant moved in so quickly I didn't get a chance to paint it. So I said next time you go on holidays, if it's agreeable by you we'll come in and paint it. She agreed, it was win / win - she got a nice looking apartment and I had it in better condition for when I had to look for a new tenant in the future (worked perfectly, the next tenant signed up on the basis of just how nice it looked!).

Anyway, so the agreement was that she would be responsible for moving all the furniture away from the walls and into the middle of each room. I didn't want to do that heavy lifting. Then we came in, put plastic covers over all her stuff and went at it. It worked out really well.

So yeah arrange it during a long weekend when they are away or during Xmas or something. It's so much easier when they aren't there and need access to furniture and belongings.

I would wait and do it when this tenant vacates, whilst it is empty.

You can then increase the rent for the ingoing tenants.

You're asking for trouble. Too much work, it will take you a month at least to get all that sorted and back to normal. If they are paying a high rent now and haven't complained what is the hurry? Wait until they vacate next time and then do it.

Back