Renovations or full repair..

Well to describe my situation, as I have not had full building report and extent of damage of roof, currently waiting for settlement day for house, it's an ex housing comission house built 1980s, with the old style tiled roofs, while checking and inspecting the house I notice some rooms had some water marks, the house itself I'm planning to do major renovations replacing old vinyl tiles for floor tiles, fresh coat of paint in and out of house, Electrical fittings replaced new lights and fans, new aircon, new bathroom and toilet and put in BIR in room's, curtains. With verandah and carport. My budget is 30-40k atm. With the roofing itself one roofer has suggested to avoid further problems down the track (without full knowledge the damage on roof) to replace to with roof clading, that in itself is 20k, as I got the house at a very good price which allows me room to capitilise with low risk of over capitlising. The house will be an IP, is it better for me to try fix the roof for now by replacing tiles and wait few years for roof cladding, as nowadays is hard to get replacements for them.

Was thinking if i do carport and verandah + all renovations, I'd have enough through re-valuation of house afterwards to get enough funds for roof cladding as well, or keep repairing and claiming that on tax.. I'm not so sure as this is my first IP. Thank you

or keep repairing and claiming that on tax.

From your description, none of the work you are planning will be 'repairs'. You bought the property with existing issues. If you fix those issues, it's not a repair to the ATO, it's an improvement i.e. 2.5%.

A lot depends on the builder's report. If there is very minimal damage to the roof, you could get it repaired and then repainted. It might be the gutters that need replacing too.

You can get the roof capping tiles repointed (cemented) and get the roof cleaned and repainted. This will make it look as good as new. My house cost about $2600.

A lot depends on the builder's report. If there is very minimal damage to the roof, you could get it repaired and then repainted. It might be the gutters that need replacing too.

You can get the roof capping tiles repointed (cemented) and get the roof cleaned and repainted. This will make it look as good as new. My house cost about $2600.

Yup, hopefully the roof damage isnt extensive, the marks are shown in the master and 2nd bedroom, though there is a solar hot water system where the roof is at, we're wondering if it's that we will only know once its settled and we get up there, it's an ex housing comission house built around 1982, I'm guessing it will be hard now to find the same tiles, that's what the roofer also said that might be case and asked if I rather put colourbond up for 20k and avoid problems thats the situation though atm

Back