Rent of PIT

Hi,

I have a PIT and would like to know if I live in a property that is owned by the PIT, can I myself rent this property from the PIT and claim the negative gearing?

Cramer
I have 2 properties owned by a HDT I was looking into this scenario ( just for a short term period of 6 months due to circumstances at the time ) and was advised against it by my accountant. I can't recall the reasons apart from it not being / appearing to be an arms length transaction.
I'm sure some of the tax experts on the forum will clarifywhy you should not go down this path ;)

Ross

Chan & Naylor PIT

Hi
In short (without knowing your individual circumstances) the answer is NO, however if you have acquired a Property Investors Trust deed tm ..and you have a specific question in relation to your individual circumstances you may want to contact our Perth Office.
Level 1 251 Hay Street
East Perth WA 6004
Ph: 08 9467 7509

One of the Senior Consultants will be able to clarify this situation for you.

Regards
Bianca on behalf of Chan & Naylor Accountants
www.chan-naylor.com.au

How about renting a property from just a discretionary trust and carrying the losses forward or offsetting aginst say share/man fun income, is there any worth in this strategy?

How about renting a property from just a discretionary trust and carrying the losses forward or offsetting aginst say share/man fun income, is there any worth in this strategy?

I've also wondered about this - if you find an answer or more info pls post or PM.

interesting subject as always :D

I recently read an article from a Sydney Legal/Accounting/Financial Planning Group (5 offices) wherein they advocated the use of a Discretionary family trust with a pty ltd trustee to purchase an IP, your family then rents that IP at a proper market rental on a long term lease

Capital Gains expemptions are lost and you may be liable for land tax, but your lease on the house will valued for Capital Gains tax and you can claim interest payments/insurance/repairs/depreciation

that seems contrary to many discussions here and what I'd always believed:confused:

Back