Rent out or sell student style flat.

Hi Guys,

Just after some quick advise please..

I am currently living in a two bedroom unit in Glen Huntley VIC but will be moving overseas soon.

The place is among another 250+ units which are mostly identical and is mostly made up of student renters at a nearby University.

Now the rental return will be good and will cover my repayments however I'd be surprised if there is much capital improvement given the market and the fact the flats are so student.

Am i better off to sell and avoid capital gains or keep it as investment? I've had it for around a year.

Thanks

If there is a K Mart around, best to forget it!

But seriously, how will you be managing this property? Have you got a PM willing to manage students? From overseas it will be an impossible task for you!

If there is a K Mart around, best to forget it!

But seriously, how will you be managing this property? Have you got a PM willing to manage students? From overseas it will be an impossible task for you!

poor Kmart, copping so much flack simply for selling some cheap heaters!!:D

Hi Guys,

Just after some quick advise please..

I am currently living in a two bedroom unit in Glen Huntley VIC but will be moving overseas soon.

The place is among another 250+ units which are mostly identical and is mostly made up of student renters at a nearby University.

Now the rental return will be good and will cover my repayments however I'd be surprised if there is much capital improvement given the market and the fact the flats are so student.

Am i better off to sell and avoid capital gains or keep it as investment? I've had it for around a year.

Thanks

Depends on what your goals and strategy is.

If assuming you want to build a portfolio and CG is what your looking for then i'd most likely get rid of it. But having said that, if the renal yield is something amazing and puts a big chunk of cash back in your pocket each week then its something to consider.

But as far as CG goes, its gonna go nowhere IMO.

I'd get an agent of course.

The suburb is good and location is great.
I think I'll rent it for twelve months and see how it goes from there.

Yes the idea was to build a portfolio.
I also have a unit in Seaford which is currently rented out.

Last edited:
Back