Rental Carpet Recommendations

Hi All, long time reader first time poster :)

Have recently exchanged on another IP in western sydney - 3br BV house on 690sqm (potential granny flat down the track) with most of the major work done by the vendor (re-roofed, new kitchen and bathroom under 10 years ago, new windows etc, rear rumpus and 2nd toilet extension).

With a bit of a tidy up it will rent for $375-$395 pw. Mainly it needs a fresh coat of paint, new carpet (has original from the 60's) and RCD fitted, change some door handles and light fittings to more modern.

The trouble I have is that I have not carpeted anything recently - the last carpet project was the common areas of an apartment complex where we used premium carpet and underlay that was over $250 per linear metre. Other properties have had a good run on their carpet and have not needed replacement as yet.

Having read various advice on various forums between polyprolene, nylon, solution died nylon, wool blends etc, and after much searching here cannnot come up with a definitive answer.

So I put the question out there - what are people putting into their rentals and what kind of life span are you getting?

Carpet stores are recommending cheap poly carpet with an extra heavy duty rating in a sisal style weave and say that is what they put into most rentals. However other people say they have been disappointed with the 5 or less years they get out of it and instead elect for a more expensive carpet which is a better long term economy.

Info would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Dave

I'm personally not a fan of carpet in rental properties. If there are floor boards underneath, I would polish them. They will last much longer than any carpet, and are easier for the tenants to clean. Voila! Less maintenance for you.

Hey Jamie

I have been on that site already - the Riviera carpet you are ordering?

That is the style that many carpet shops are recommending to me. I would be interested in your feedback -when is it due to be installed?

What I will also say is to get quotes elsewhere. I have had a quote for the same carpet and underlay from a local carpet shop a lot cheaper ($300-400) than the onlinecarpet website.

Skater: I also like the floorboard idea - the trouble is I have no idea what the condition of the boards is like under the carpet. I won't know this till I can pull the carpet up after settlement, I do know the carpet in the lounge has some form of board under it on top of the boards, which makes me think they have been carpeted due to an issue with the boards. Houses will often be carpeted due to drafts in gaps between boards.

So I am allowing for carpeting in my refurb budget as its the most likely case... the cost of the carpet is important so I can be accurate in my budget :)

Thanks to all who replied
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave

My wife showed me this website the other day - http://www.onlinecarpet.com.au/

The carpet we're ordering from them is $55.99 per lineal metre. I'll report back once it arrives.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Dave,

I generally tend to recommend a Solution Dyed Nylon for a rental property unless it is an extra high value property or in an extremely low socio economic area.

Solution Dyed Nylon is hard wearing and generally looks a lot better than say a normal nylon or polyprop carpet (which can look shiney when laid).

It's more expensive than nylon but worth the extra in my opinion.

Go for a loop pile which tends to wear a little better (not a cut pile). Loop pile carpets don't really 'track' in hallways and high traffic areas like a cut pile carpet will.

The other option is to investigate commercial grade carpets which have a much longer life expectancy than residential grade carpets. Again they are a little more expensive, but worth it if you are planning to hold your property long term.

A good quality underlay will also extend the life of your carpets.

Hey Jamie

I have been on that site already - the Riviera carpet you are ordering?
Yep that's the one.

That is the style that many carpet shops are recommending to me. I would be interested in your feedback -when is it due to be installed?
Next month. Just have to find a carpet layer in Canberra.

What I will also say is to get quotes elsewhere. I have had a quote for the same carpet and underlay from a local carpet shop a lot cheaper ($300-400) than the onlinecarpet website.
Will do - I pride myself on a cheap reno. Would hate to find out that I could have done it cheaper ;)

Cheers

Jamie

I used the IQ-150 in a recent reno for a nice unit we rented out in Coogee. That said as good as it is for our purpose, if it was for a house out west I would definitely go for something a fair bit cheaper. Pander to your market and all that. The difference aesthetically and durability wise I'm sure isn't that great.

I've just been doing some research into carpets myself having to re-carpet a couple of properties. I've gone with Awana Bay Carpet which is a Solution Dyed Nylon Carpet and comes with:

•15 year wear warranty
•10 year stain warranty
•lifetime antistatic warranty
•Colour fast warranty

It's about $99 per broadloom metre which is quite a good price for the quality of the carpet and used with a reasonable underlay will provide a high quality feel and look without shelling out the big bucks. To carpet an area of approx 23m2 in size is costing about $3600.

Bunnings

I am actually starting to investigate this as well at the moment. i had seen a similar carpet to that Riveria carpet, in Bunnings although i think it was a 50/50 wool/poly blend. i think at $27.50 sqm. Waratah bay
we actually have this carpet in the place we are renting and it seems fine - even seems fairly stain resistent.
I have not managed to get a full quote yet but i think they said thet the underlay was about $10-12sqm and fitting would be about $149 (sounded cheap?).

Was also thinking of looking at doing all the prep work myself ie all tack tracks and the underlay - but so far i can't seem to find anywhere that will just sell the underlay separately - anyone tried this approach - or is the saving not really worth it?

Last edited:
Just an update, I ended up ordering a good quality polypropelene sisal weave loop pile carpet with a better quality underlay which made a big difference to the softness underfoot.

It is a coffee colour - not too dark not too light.

Got it through a regular carpet store - the same dimensions/linear meterage from onlinecarpet was close to $500 more for the same style carpet.

Nice work DaveMSydney :) and the "gold class" underlay is always a great option, and makes such a huge difference :)
I'm a big fan of premium underlay, too. Now that I'm converted, I'll never use ordinary underlay again, either in an IP or PPOR. :cool: The "bang for your buck" provided by upgrading underlay is enormous.

Carpet stores are recommending cheap poly carpet with an extra heavy duty rating in a sisal style weave and say that is what they put into most rentals. However other people say they have been disappointed with the 5 or less years they get out of it and instead elect for a more expensive carpet which is a better long term economy.
This. Did the polypropylene thing, looked brilliant when it was new, but it wore Really Badly - within 2 years. It was a fairly generic beige sisal look thing, probably the exact stuff you're talking about. Seriously regret getting such a light colour, darker is definitely better.

Got a very mundane short loop pile poly carpet here in a reasonably dark flecky sort of moccaish brown, it looks a little worn in a doorway where it goes over a bump (it butts up against a quite worn 110 year old wooden threshold so the carpet is a little higher than the wood on the edge where everyone steps, unfortunate but unavoidable) and is *very* heavily trafficked after 2 years but otherwise I'm happy with it, it doesn't show the grot and it doesn't flatten like the sisal patterns do. It was bought as rental carpet.

We are getting cut pile nylon in the bedrooms of our new house and strandwoven coffee bamboo in all the living areas and hallways - both slightly darker colours than 'normal', we're well and truly off light coloured floors.

If its a older house, I'd rip up the carpet and go floorboards.
Less maintenance and easier to keep it looking new.

However if you really want carpets I would only limit it to the bedrooms.

Just an update, I ended up ordering a good quality polypropelene sisal weave loop pile carpet with a better quality underlay which made a big difference to the softness underfoot.

It is a coffee colour - not too dark not too light.

Got it through a regular carpet store - the same dimensions/linear meterage from onlinecarpet was close to $500 more for the same style carpet.

Hi Dave - do you mind sharing the carpet store? I'd like to get a quote from them aswell.

thanks

A fly in the ointment today, so to speak. I had a floor polisher come by to take a look, he pulled up a few carpet edges and revealed some good condition floorboards the whole way through the house.

The cost to remove carpet, edges and staples, sand and then 2 coats of polyurethane is $100 more than having carpet replaced. $2180 all up.

The floorboards are also a tongue and groove so no draughts.

I am half inclined to hire a skip, pull the carpets up and see how the boards look. The carpets have been there since the late 60's/early 70's so the boards would have less than 10 years of use before being covered up.

There were indentations of underlay rubber on the varnish though so I suspect they will need a sand and re-finish.

Difficult choice... personally I prefer carpet but I can see the advantages of boards for less issues/replacement costs long term.

Dave, if it is a rental, I'd go the floorboards everytime. Much less maintenance cost!

Last edited:
Hi Skater

I am confused - earlier you said to go the floorboards!

I'm personally not a fan of carpet in rental properties. If there are floor boards underneath, I would polish them. They will last much longer than any carpet, and are easier for the tenants to clean. Voila! Less maintenance for you.

Which is it? :)

Back