Rental Express Qld - getting passed around like a hot potato from PM to PM

Amazing now if there Business development manager is any good expect a phone call soon

Let me know if I can be of any further help

Good luck

Thank you for all your advice & information :)

Don't know that I'd be worthy of a call from their Business Development Manager...will wait & see :rolleyes:

Once again, thank you very much & I will let you know if I have any more queries. :D

believe it or not every property is very important to the agency

a property returning $350pw management fees of $1500pa

the agent can borrow money against this or sell it for approx $4500

this is not including the let fee or any other fees and charges they charge you.

adds up

Hi All,

My Ip's are in Melbourne and I've never given notice to the PM's that I wish to change from.

All I do is go to the new agent, they fax a letter through saying they are taking over the management of the IP, and the new PM collects the keys.

I've changed real estate agents many, many times over the years and to date haven't regretted my decision!! At one point I pulled four away from one agency - using the process above.... It's actually not that difficult to move. Just do it....

Regards Jason.

All I do is go to the new agent, they fax a letter through saying they are taking over the management of the IP, and the new PM collects the keys.

Yes, this is what the agent I am changing to has told me too (thanks by the way :D). As soon as I give the go-ahead (just tidying up loose ends re tenant changeover first, so they don't give me any grief once they find out), she told me to contact her, and that's all I need to do. She does all the rest! Sounds easier than I thought it would have been.

Jason Rose from this forum is the Operations Manager at Rental Express - he will no doubt see this and get onto you...otherwise send him a PM and see if he will sort out your situation - friends of mine recently had no luck getting their issue sorted, but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

If you are to move - some agencies will also cancel the 90 day clause and just let you go if you can prove their service has been that bad. Check that you have been getting all your periodic inspection reports, your rent is up to date and correct and all paperwork has been properly completed.

It is one of the unfortunate side effects of a big rent roll business is you sometimes get lost in the crowd...that and given the shortage of GOOD property managers around town it's hard to get a good one in the first place let alone a company of them.

Hopefully Jason responds

This taken as an excerpt from their website
At RENTAL EXPRESS we are serious about our commitment to provide the best property management service to Brisbane home owners. To make sure this commitment is not just lip service, we offer the following service guarantee to all of our owners as a measure of accountability.

If, as one of our clients, you are in any way dissatisfied with the service we are providing or feel as though we have not lived up to your expectation in terms of the service we have provided in the management of your property, then we will gladly continue the management of your property for the next three months absolutely free of charge.

G'Day Mary & Mat,

Sorry for delay was in Melbourne yesterday.thanks for your feedback. Please feel free to call me directly on 0734529620 or email me [email protected] or PM me. I want to find out what is going on and get it sorted for you.

Regards,

Jason Rose
Operations Manager
Rental Express

I own a number of IP's but right now I am also a tenant (personal reasons).

The property I'm currently renting is managed by Rental Express. Going by the treatment we have received as tenants, there is NO WAY that I would ever get Rentral Express to manage one of my properties.
I would be totally ashamed if any of my tenants were treated the way we have been treated.

Problem #1.
We as the tenant are treated like dirt with a very condescending attitude.

Problem #2.
On numerous occasions we have advised the PM of issues with the property (some being costly repairs for the owner if not attended to) & the PM has not even bothered to acknowledge the emnail let alone organise a repair.

Right now the roof leaks via the rangehood outlet onto the cooktop in the kitchen. The PM was advised 4wks ago. 2wks ago I sent another email to the PM + copied to her office mgr + the owner of Rental Express asking for acknowledgement. I received a response saying "the contractor has been advised".
To date I have had no further contact from the PM or any contractor.

Furthermore, an RE repairman came & fixed a previous problem. In making his repair he created & left a 60cm x 40cm hole in the sofit of the roof. This will be quite expensive for the owner to fix. 6mths later the hole is still there & untouched.

In my opinion, RE have no respect for either the owner or the tenant. All they are interested in is getting money.

If you are looking to change agencies one thing to consider most agencies will require 90days notice to remove your management, I would recommend changing this on the PAMD 20a so say 7 days notice page 2, 4.2 type of appointment.

Definitely you can chose 30 days instead of 90 days. I'm not sure if you can change it to 7 days. I think it should be "no less than 30 days".

Thanks Louwai for your post. Can you please email [email protected] or pm me your contact details and the property you rent, as i can not work it out from your user name.

Regards,

Jason Rose
Operations Manager
www.rentalexpress.com.au

Jason,
I will send you an email & I would be happy to sit down with you for a discussion of our journey with Rental Express for the last 9mths.

Hopefully no one else in the future will have to endure what we have.

Bryan

Jason,
I will send you an email & I would be happy to sit down with you for a discussion of our journey with Rental Express for the last 9mths.

Hopefully no one else in the future will have to endure what we have.

Bryan

Just for general information to all,
I emailed a detailed letter to Jason as requested in the previous posts. We exchanged 2 or 3 emails back & forth. Jason said he would pass my letter onto the Rental Express GM for further investigation.

That was 2 weeks ago. I had heard nothing from RE until yesterday. I sent Jason an email asking for an update & he responded saying that the matter was still with the GM.

B

Just for general information to all,
I emailed a detailed letter to Jason as requested in the previous posts. We exchanged 2 or 3 emails back & forth. Jason said he would pass my letter onto the Rental Express GM for further investigation.

That was 2 weeks ago. I had heard nothing from RE until yesterday. I sent Jason an email asking for an update & he responded saying that the matter was still with the GM.

B

Bryan,

I have sent you a email to your work email address.

Thanks

If you are looking to change agencies one thing to consider most agencies will require 90days notice to remove your management, I would recommend changing this on the PAMD 20a so say 7 days notice page 2, 4.2 type of appointment.

The PAMD 20a requires a period of no less than 30 Days and no more than 90 days. By doing it at 7 days you can make the document invalid and by asking the agent to sign this or they don't get your IP, could place the agent's licence at risk under the act or fines. I don't know any agent that would accept a 7 day notice period, and I know a lot of agents in Qld.

Staff turnover without notice

Hi all,

For those of you confused about turnover & lack of notice given to landlords...

As some of you have pointed out many property managers are often young, usually paid poorly and in addition to this the training & support is often pretty poor - if it exists at all. Add a huge workload to this and turnover is inevitable. There is also often a delegation of responsibility to property managers without the required authority to deal with these responsibilities - not a very satisfying way to work.

The reason you aren't contacted by the property manager you have grown used to and like dealing with is that management are afraid that property managers leaving the agency will take business with them and are usually frog marched out the front door the instant notice is given - yes - even if it's 8.30am (This is what I have witnessed in agencies I've worked in). The reality is that any PM who wants to do this could simply print out the details they require, give notice, then call everyone but this is an excellent way to get yourself outcast in the RE community.

The terse email could have been due to limited time - perhaps the tone was more rushed than terse? Or perhaps s/he was burnt-out, tired, fed up. This leaves management to advise you of the changeover who either - are overworked or have no idea who you are and cannot therefore connect properly - the way someone with a fiduciary duty towards you should be able to.

/ steps down from soapbox /

Keep searching if you are unhappy with your current service. It's a big investment and you have much more than the value of the property to lose (think unisured death on your property) if you don't have a professional on the job.

Jody

Is it a Gen Y thing then? That these young PM's don't realise what a hard day's work actually is (Lil Skater excepted!)?

I remember being young (long ago ;) ) & having heaps of responsibilty, government reg's & legislation to follow not to mention the actual business rules we had to adhere to. We all did it & for the most part, did it well.

Why are they not coping? Is it simply overload or is it general apathy?

Hi Mary & Mat

I don't think this is a Gen-Y thing. The responsibility isn't the issue - it's the lack of tools & authority to deal with it and little appreciation from sales principals who don't really understand (or want to) the way rentals work.

I read somewhere on this forum a post from someone who has been here a while which said something to effect that PMs often move thinking they are moving to greener pastures or are simply burnt out - that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

I've definately travelled the burnt-out path & have given up looking for greener pastures - I think the only way I'll get those is to create them myself and am really looking forward to getting out on my own.

X-Gener :)

Not Gen-Y thing at all, on top of what Jody has already mentioned the Salaries (there lack of) play a huge part.

Bigger portfolios, less supervision more traveling, more out goings from own pocket. Office owners wanting a larger and larger cut from the returns - Property owners wanting to pay less and less.

Unfortunately a lot of principals and owners aren’t meeting what others are paying (a simple seek search will show what it costs for a good PM and even a Junior PM).

Same goes for property owners wanting to pay less and less. Do you really think you can get the same level of time spent on for 5% when others pay 8.5%? Do you really think office management let the staff spend the same amount of time on 5% properties... (I'm not staying this is the right business attitude to have).

Why would they work for $45k with a portfolio of 200 when they can earn $65k PA..

If the work and hour(s) load was in line with what that they are getting paid the service would still be there.

I’ve worn many hats in Real Estate, sales person, PM, office manager and have seen it all too often everywhere I have worked.

The office I’m currently with is a perfect example, young girls on $38k - $40k PA with 180 – 200 property portfolios having to start earlier and leave later with all the travel expense needed – Almost not worth their time.

Being a PM thrown into a very senior level roll portfolio is no easy task, I invite any investor/owner to step into some of these girls/boys shoes for a week..

Bad attitude and plain old negligence isn’t excusable however.

Back