Renting granny flat

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a property that already has a granny flat. The agent is quoting me potential rent figures for the granny flat but when I got the occupational certificate it is described as a "hobby room" and a "class 10a building" which seems to be a non-habitable class.

So would council stop me from renting the flat? The current owners have been using it as a guest room since it was built and it looks sturdy enough with all the amenities you'd need.
Can I approach council about reclassifying? If it was classified as non-habitable in the first place then there's probably a reason for it isn't there :(

The 'granny flat' legislation only came out in Feb 2009 in NSW. Prior to that many people had converted garages, built a shed in the backyard that was approved as a studio / games room / hobby room etc. then later on added a kitchen and the non-approved granny flat was born.

Yours may have come about that way?

Either way, now you could look at possibly getting it retrospectively approved as a granny flat if it would comply under the current code. Talk to a Private Certifier for advice.

Thanks Propertunity, I'll talk to a Certifier about it.

That sounds like what may have happened. The certificate is dated Nov 2008.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a property that already has a granny flat. The agent is quoting me potential rent figures for the granny flat but when I got the occupational certificate it is described as a "hobby room" and a "class 10a building" which seems to be a non-habitable class.

So would council stop me from renting the flat? The current owners have been using it as a guest room since it was built and it looks sturdy enough with all the amenities you'd need.
Can I approach council about reclassifying? If it was classified as non-habitable in the first place then there's probably a reason for it isn't there :(

This looks like a granny flat conversion, which can now be approved as Complying Development (10-day approval) under the SEPP. This means no Council.

Take a look at this recent thread: http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81403
Granny Flat Conversions - Up to Zero Setbacks now Allowed

Back