Renting out IP to more than 6 people+ ?

think of insurance

A couple of Chinese students tried that recently in Brisbane (add an extra bod to the lounge in exchange for rent), the unit had a fire and the insurance was not covered. Bummer.

\
If it is illegal for unrelated people to share, I think that is wrong, and laws should be changed. That's a completely different issue though.

QUOTE]

It isn't as straightforward as it being 'illegal'. In fact, if a LL does things correctly, with all the right permits and such, it can be legal depending on where the house is and the local council rule governing habitation in that area.

In Armidale, nsw, you find quite a few houses rented out by the room (with loungerooms converted into bedrooms, etc). But it is 'mostly' done by the book and with council approval as student accomodation. Also the limit on the number of people isn't nessercarily strict in relation to a specific number of peopl per household - it depends on other factors such as the size of the house, etc. Some of my uni-friends all rented a room in a particular sharehouse that had 8 'bedrooms' (with couples in half of them) - but the sharehouse still had a communal area, a communial kitchen, two communial bathrooms and toilets, and very large yard (seriously that amount of land in Canberra would have at least 6-8 houses on it ;) ). But I know the LL worked with the council to present something which was up to standard, which wasn't technically a 'boarding house' but still managed to slip into the sharehouse market. Very smart move on the LL's behalf, the rent he would be receiving from each individual tenant would be at least 4x as much as he might otherwise have expected to rent out as a single premises.

\
If it is illegal for unrelated people to share, I think that is wrong, and laws should be changed. That's a completely different issue though.

QUOTE]

It isn't as straightforward as it being 'illegal'. In fact, if a LL does things correctly, with all the right permits and such, it can be legal depending on where the house is and the local council rule governing habitation in that area.

In Armidale, nsw, you find quite a few houses rented out by the room (with loungerooms converted into bedrooms, etc). But it is 'mostly' done by the book and with council approval as student accomodation. Also the limit on the number of people isn't nessercarily strict in relation to a specific number of peopl per household - it depends on other factors such as the size of the house, etc. Some of my uni-friends all rented a room in a particular sharehouse that had 8 'bedrooms' (with couples in half of them) - but the sharehouse still had a communal area, a communial kitchen, two communial bathrooms and toilets, and very large yard (seriously that amount of land in Canberra would have at least 6-8 houses on it ;) ). But I know the LL worked with the council to present something which was up to standard, which wasn't technically a 'boarding house' but still managed to slip into the sharehouse market. Very smart move on the LL's behalf, the rent he would be receiving from each individual tenant would be at least 4x as much as he might otherwise have expected to rent out as a single premises.

我们想尽可能多的适合在这里

\

QUOTE]

Thank you.
Exactly the point I was trying to make.

I have a nice view of Melbourne University every day and see some fine young ladies - albeit they look increasingly unlike the Australians that I remember, ever since the Melbourne City Council decided to cut down the trees outside the graveyard.

Council actually tried to stop me from 'rooming' my rooms out in my property. But I managed to fight them off and now they leave me alone!

Well I don't know what the law is like in Queensland but in Victoria a 'rooming house' means each person in a room has 'exclusive right' to that room. Since all my tenants are on one lease, this exclusive right does not exist and therefore it is not a rooming house.

....or he is insisting on cash so there is no tangible record of how many people he has stuffed in there! ;)

Yes I believe the LL is aware of this and the temptation of getting cash in hand is way so big :)

I wonder if the landlord where your friends live have any idea they have eight people living in the apartment :rolleyes:.

of course that is the idea to collect as much cash as possible.

Maybe you can answer a question.
Why are your friends living in this place?
Does the rent they pay reflect the limited space.
If they are unhappy, why dont they move elsewhere?

1. it is in the heart of Sydney CBD
2. shared together with people from same nationality and background
3. no where else to move as they pay $160 sunny room, $100 shared lounge bunk bed and $120 per person in the main bedroom all bills are included.

There's a house here for sale that used to be a nunnery or something, great big 5br+study house with locks on all the doors, 3000sqm block, blah blah, the ad says ideal for a B&B or rooming house, and the price is quite high for this town.

The place has one toilet and two showers and looks like it needs some fairly solid cosmetic and maybe even structural renovation to bring it up to at least 1970s standards, easy suck in $50-80k for that just because it is so big and carpet isn't free. The wet areas at the back are all fibro and wood panelling, not stone, so probably fail fire rating.

After reading this thread I think the selling agent doesn't have a clue about the implications of turning a huge house with a microbathroom into a B&B.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-jamestown-107327186 That's the house if anyone has any strange urges to start a B&B in a town with no tourism industry at all. Maybe the OP could put 4 people into each of the 6 bedrooms and 4 in the dining room and 4 in the living room and convert the laundry to a 9th habitable room.

real estate copywriter said:
. . . with new wiring throughout,
somebody was electrocuted
new plumbing
which they carefully avoid showing any of, uh oh the person electrocuted must have been in the bath
, a fantastic 5000ltr Aerobic Waste Water Treatment Plan,
=eewww septic tank
termite control,
. . . .the ground floor is about to visit the basement with one more bug munch
and sandblasting of the home,
which removed the period finish that gave the house any value and authenticity, and hid the disgusting stonework
all those expensive issues are taken care of!!!
flush, gurgle

tourism potential ??

Jamestown Things To Do
Jamestown Golf Club, Range Rd., Jamestown (08) 8664 0338
Jamestown Railway Station National Trust Museum , Jamestown (08) 8664 0522
Jamestown Cup Day, Spalding Rd., Jamestown (08) 8664 1139 (every October)
Bundaleer Forest Reserve, Spalding Rd., Jamestown (08) 8735 1232
(snore)

Anyone watching 7.30 in Sydney about overtenanting without landlords knowledge? It is mainly overseas landlords but interesting all the same.

In victoria a rooming/bording house is defined as having 10 or more habitable rooms. Therefore the number of people inside the house is not a consideration. The issue is the quality of the tenants you would get with such an arrangement!

In victoria a rooming/bording house is defined as having 10 or more habitable rooms. Therefore the number of people inside the house is not a consideration. The issue is the quality of the tenants you would get with such an arrangement!

nah that's not true actually. It's defined as having 4 or more unrelated people living in the same house and with exclusive rights to each room.

Back