Renting studio apartment with siblings

Hi People,

I've got a question that maybe someone here can clarify regarding family renting one studio apartment:

Is it illegal to allow a studio unit to be rented by 4 or five people ? they are related to each other from one family (2 brother and 2 sister)

As far as I know that it is possible to stay in the studio with 2x bunk bed since they are related to each other.

How does Fair Trading going to protect them in case the apartment receptionist asking them to evict the apartment due to the overcrowded issue ?

NSW Fair Trading doesn't care - it doesn't inspect buildings, its role is to adminsiter the Residential Tenancies Act/Property Stock & Business Agents Act.

Council may have an issue with overcrowding and body corporate will likewise. This unit will be using more than its fair share of water, causing more wear and tear etc to common areas, generating more rubbish, requires more access cards/keys, parking spaces etc.

How do you know that they are brother/sister not couples?

Am I missing the point? Why would you consider leasing a room with a bathroom to 4 people (family or unrelated)? That is why they build 2 bedroom units.

Hah, I love JohnHenry's posts. Always trying to get maximum people in minimum amount of space.

That is why I'm asking in this forum, because ko understand the Situation for the non related people it is illegal, but in this case what about if the working class family trying to rent the studio apartment due to budget basis ?

As a landlord who must upkeep our houses, replace items that are worn out, I would never agree to have four people in a unit or flat. If one tenant signed a lease and had two or three others move in without my permission (related or not) I would take it further and get them out.

Move to somewhere they can afford - simple.

Sometimes it isnt so simple.

We spent 4 years in total (2 stints of 2 years each) with 4 of us (my parents, brother and i) in 1 bedroom in my grandma/aunts house when i was younger as we could not afford anything else at the time while trying to establish a business. While it is of course worse in this instance because at least we had a larger living room etc to all share it is just an example of why it sometimes is the case that people cram in.

You are being simplistic.

Sometimes it isnt so simple.

We spent 4 years in total (2 stints of 2 years each) with 4 of us (my parents, brother and i) in 1 bedroom in my grandma/aunts house when i was younger as we could not afford anything else at the time while trying to establish a business. While it is of course worse in this instance because at least we had a larger living room etc to all share it is just an example of why it sometimes is the case that people cram in.

You are being simplistic.

Yes, exactly I was wondering if it is possible to rent the property in NSW to the tenant like your case before sanj.

Because 2 people per room maximum rule shouldn't be applicable if the people are related to each other.

My hubby lived his whole childhood in a rented 2 bedroom flat (same one for nearly 20 years). Mum and dad in one bedroom, nan and sister in the other. The 2 boys had a mattress that was put out at night on the floor in the loungeroom. They thought that was normal.

Back