renting to a 8x-year old

How is this not discrimination? You must be an ageist.

Are you worried about the crazy parties they would have? The burnouts in their car? the drugs? or maybe death?

Yes, my biggest concern in about her health and death (although she looks very healthy now)... Does anyone know what responsibilities (if any) or loss it would occur if that does happen?

Yes, my biggest concern in about her health and death (although she looks very healthy now)... Does anyone know what responsibilities (if any) or loss it would occur if that does happen?

Same as if a young person died in a property. This has happened to me. relatives handed keys back after all done. No problems.

Look at the RTA in the state of the property. Death usually allows someone to exist the contract early - ie. their legal personal rep will not have to continue.

So long as the tenant could show a strong income position to cover the rent + rental increases, and the property was suitable (two storey townhouse for an elderly person with difficulty walking isn't a great idea) I don't have an issue.

Risks Defined:
Elderly, worried about deceasing with contract being terminated

Benefits:
Less likely to cause damage and wear to property
higher % chance of maintaining outdoor areas

Benefits outweigh risks IMHO.

Property owners would scream if any PM didn't take all factors into consideration when assessing and vetting tenants. Sometimes some of those "illegal" factors must be considered.
While their maintenance skills may not be as strong and active as they once were or like tradies, not many 80 yr olds default and you never see one in Tribunals. In the right property, I reckon they're gold.
Cheers
crest133

I have family moved into one of my IP's along with their elderly mother. They moved into the property because it's reasonably priced, has 3/4 bedrooms and two bathrooms. It's close to the hospital which works well as the mother has some health issues.

Great tenants, pay on time. Won't be looking to move anytime soon pending mothers health.

the only thing an elderly tenant may ask is that there are grab rails installed in places like the bathroom or toilet. Make sure they are installed properly because a heck of a lot of weight can be put onto them....

Rented a place with grab rails in the shower, which was handy as i had come off my motorbike a few days later so getting knee over the bathtub was ouchie but made life a lot more easier.. they arent athestically pleasing to the eye however.

Firstly I thought you were looking at renting to an eight year old - oops.

I have no problem renting to and 80+ year old. One of my best tenants was an 80 year old and his son. His son is still there. Also you mention she has an IP so she is sure to look after your property.

As mentioned early - no noisy parties etc.

Scot No Mates list some great considerations.

Not sure what thoughts you have but certainly if everything stacks up - rent to her.

Depends at the end of the day do they have an income to meet the rental payment. If they do and they can clearly show they savings/ income why not?

Only thing is who would clean/maintain the place.

Everyone crosses the road on red too - but it is still illegal.:)

How do insurance companies get away with it then?
Age discrimination rather than crossing the road on a red that is.
API openly advertises they only insure over 50s, all insurance companies charge different premiums depending on age.
FWIW I would rent to an 80 year old provided they had the appropriate references and could prove adequate income to cover the rent, exactly the same things I'd expect of any person under 80.

Mowing a quarter acre block in the middle of summer might be a challenge for an octogenarian. Also, keeping the place clean. Unless they have a carer or are still in good health.

Unfortunately, the oldies I see around the druitt have "had it" so I'd be reluctant to rent to them on their own. But with a carer or relo helping out, yeah, why not.

From personal experience....I had an elderly neighbor die in a unit 2 doors away from me, took over a week before the smell alerted us to something wrong and we called the police.

The unit never quiet smelt the same and the had to replace carpet and underlay and repaint the whole place.

very sad story but lets not forget death can happen at any age. the terrible story a few years ago in qld a child died left there for along time, 1 of a twin starved to death by the mother. this was a rental property too.

not all people of eighty are frail, many are active and healthy perhaps more than come younger people. so not just about age.

Back