Renting to Dept of Housing

Hi All,

Has anybody lease/have leased their home/s to the Dept of Housing or know of such? Any pros & cons?

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but I've done a search and couldn't find anything about it. If it has, can someone please post a link.

Thx,
Berns

I've leased out a house to the DoH once.

The cons:

1) DoH is such a large organisation, and sometimes you don't know who to speak to about particular matters...they have one department for rent payments, another property management department then some sort of repairs department.

2) You have no control over who eventually leases the house. The DoH signs the lease and then sub lease, so someone that you may not ordinarily rent to may end up occupying the house.

3) The DoH don't do periodic inspections to make sure the occupant is keeping the place in good order.

The pros:

1) Your rent is paid on time every time no questions asked! They will send a cheque or do an EFT, whatever you like.

2) They look after most of the repairs. The occupant rings the DoH, not you, and in most cases the DoH will attend to the problem.

3) You can still arrange to do your own periodic inspections. In most cases the property manager from DoH will also attend.

4) The DoH usually lease for long periods. The house they occupied through me the had for about 15 years.

Thanks for your reply JoannaK.

Once the lease ends, will/do the DoH 'return' your place back to you in the same state (or close to) when they first leased?

Is the rent they pay you market rate or just below/over?

Hi

this is an intersting thread, my question is:

What is the % DoH management fee? Is it comparable to the DHA at about 15% - 16%. I was interested in DHA properties till i saw the fees.
Its enough to push a +ve geared property to a -ve geared one.

F#*&^% that..............:D

In my particular situation I inherited the DoH as a tenant. The house was sold subject to the tenancy, so I can't say whether or not they "made good" upon vacating.

Overall they were quite good as tenants - it was just a real hassle trying to find the right people to talk to.

They pay market rent on a calendar month basis.

They do have a set of standard conditions that they put in their lease, and if my memory serves me correctly there were provisions for rent reviews.

The DoH are normal tenants, so they don't charge a management fee. A property leased to DoH is managed in the same way as a property leased to Joe Blow.

So, are you saying they do the maintenance and guarantee rent and they dont charge a fee?

Wheres my phone book?

Hi,

Originally posted by JoannaK
The cons:
[...]
2) You have no control over who eventually leases the house. The DoH signs the lease and then sub lease, so someone that you may not ordinarily rent to may end up occupying the house.
3) The DoH don't do periodic inspections to make sure the occupant is keeping the place in good order.

The pros:
[...]
3) You can still arrange to do your own periodic inspections. In most cases the property manager from DoH will also attend.
4) The DoH usually lease for long periods. The house they occupied through me the had for about 15 years.

I guess that pro #3 counterbalances con #3. I certainly see a major advantage in pro #4. You said you "inherited" DoH as a tenant: at the end of the lease, did you renew with the DoH? Knowing what you know, would you accept DoH as a tenant? What sort of properties is the DoH after? In what areas does the DoH lease property?

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire

pro and con were a bit funny - thanks for pointing that out....

DoH will not schedule their own periodic inspections. It was normal practice for me to advise them of when I intend to do an inspection as they are the ones who need to notify the occupant. They notified the occupant and usually opted to attend themselves as well.

Before the house was sold I was negotiating with DoH to renew their lease, which I had no problems doing at the time because I knew that their occupant was keeping the property in good order and she was quite happy there.

You would need to speak with DoH directly about what sort of properties they are after and in what areas. I'm sure they want all sorts of properties and areas - their public housing list is 96,000 or something like that.

I would accept DoH as a tenant again, but the only concern I have is the end occupant and the way they keep the property. If all you're concerned about is regular rental payments then DoH is a dream tenant.

Hi Joanna,

Thanks for sharing that.

I would accept DoH as a tenant again, but the only concern I have is the end occupant and the way they keep the property. If all you're concerned about is regular rental payments then DoH is a dream tenant. [/B]

I guess it comes down to risk minimisation. If DoH is the tenant, but the end occupant trashes the place, can you force the DoH to throw them out? Does evicting the end occupant mean you evict the DoH?

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire

The DoH will investigate your concerns. They have a reputation to protect and will have no problems relocating an occupant quite swiftly if necessary.

Asking the DoH to relocate an occupant does not mean that you are evicting the DoH. You are not evicting the occupant - the Doh must do that.

To evict the DoH you have to give them the required notice as per state tenancy laws.

The DoH will simply put another occupant in the house.

This does seem like a pretty interesting option for landlords to go for - guarenteed rent and increases for 15 years sounds pretty good to me....how many properties don't require some sort of tidy up after 15 years anyway?

Glenn

Back