Repair invoice twice what I authorised

Hi all.

Just had an invoice come back from my PM for replacement of a rear door,
(supply, painted and hung) but the invoice was not the same as the quote I authorised, nor was it the same company who did the work.

Original quote came in at $320, actual invoice has come in at $620.

I expect the difference is because the original specified a ply-wood door, whereas the door was replaced with a solid core door.

Leaving aside the fact that a solid core door is the better option here, given it is an outside facing door, and the original door (which was also plywood) had warped due to moisture etc. do I have grounds to refuse to pay over and above the original quote I authorised?

Cheers,
Neil

I would think the PM would have pay $620 to the contractor, and you'd have to pay $320 to the PM.

Door stays put, and PM loses $300 for not getting your authorisation.

Failing that, new PM.

Thanks for the replies..

Yes, but the contractor has the right to remove it.

And charge for removal no doubt :rolleyes:

Maybe see if you can negotiate something in the middle.

I'd be happy to do this, and will offer this if they play hardball.

I would think the PM would have pay $620 to the contractor, and you'd have to pay $320 to the PM.

Door stays put, and PM loses $300 for not getting your authorisation.

Failing that, new PM.

This would be a great outcome, and I think the PM needs to be a bit more
on the ball with regards to this sort of thing. It will certainly be my starting point anyway ;)

Cheers,
Neil

I would be upping ypir PM fair and square..

You authorised $320 not $620.

As tradies who work will a number of PM's we ask for the owners signature if a job is more than ~ $500. (We usually get a CC of an email which is fine)....just means we (as the contractor) know that the owner of the property is FULLY informed of what the PM has gone ahead with.

We don't get stuck with an invoice that the unsuspecting LL doesn't want to pay.

Neil,

Was this an emergency repair?

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Y-man,

No, it was not an emergency repair. The tenant reported the issue a while ago, and the PM suggested I take a look as I was about to have my 1st inspection of the place since buying it.

When I saw it, I immediately told the PM to go ahead with the quote I had received, and also told the tenant I would sort it out immediately, because it was in a really bad way and compromised not only the weatherproofing of the property, but also the security.

Cheers
Neil.

Result!!!

Quick update...

PM just emailed me to let me know they re-negotiated the price from $620 to $450 and will be paying the difference from the original quote of $320 themselves!

So, although very happy that I have a better than expected repair for a good price, it does re-inforce the fact that

1. Need to check all invoices that come through from PM
  2. Always ask for more than 1 quote, and get PM to negotiate hard with their tradies !

Cheers
Neil

Sounds like a good outcome. What is missing, is what was said to whom?. Why was the solid door installed. I agree, if the tradie, on arrival, informed that a ply door was not the go, and the PM forgot to pass that on, then yes the PM has a liability. All our tradies know that they are part of a service team. If one member of the team, drops the ball, the whole team is then viewed poorly, so it is odd that this has happened. However if for some reasoon, internal communication was some how not sent to a LL, then yes we have to take it on the chin.
regards

Back