Repair to aircon unit?

Hello Somersofters

Would anyone with any experience in the area care to advise whether or not I am being taken for a ride:

I have received a quote to have a problem rectified on a reverse cycle unit in my IP. The problem is that the valve that swaps the system from cooling to heating is faulty. It is stuck on cooling.

The repair quote is as follows:

Service call - $99
Parts - $295.55
Gas - $140
Labour - $198
TOTAL - $732.55 inc GST.

The guy suggested I have a look at having the whole unit replaced as it is approx 10 years old, replacement options start at approx $1800 installed.

Thanks!

Hello Somersofters

The guy suggested I have a look at having the whole unit replaced as it is approx 10 years old, replacement options start at approx $1800 installed.

Thanks!

Personally I would replace it at this point - good money after bad.

You could probably justify this to yourself by balancing the following:

+ Writeoff value of current unit (not much probably)
+ Avoid repair cost
+ Depreciation
- Capital cost of new unit

Personally I would replace it at this point - good money after bad.

You could probably justify this to yourself by balancing the following:

+ Writeoff value of current unit (not much probably)
+ Avoid repair cost
+ Depreciation
- Capital cost of new unit

Thanks Sydprop

I think I may need to consider a new unit. Add to the benefits- a 5 year warranty vs no repair coverage.

Does anyone know if $732 for repair is reasonable?

Hello Somersofters

Would anyone with any experience in the area care to advise whether or not I am being taken for a ride:

I have received a quote to have a problem rectified on a reverse cycle unit in my IP. The problem is that the valve that swaps the system from cooling to heating is faulty. It is stuck on cooling.

The repair quote is as follows:

Service call - $99
Parts - $295.55
Gas - $140
Labour - $198
TOTAL - $732.55 inc GST.

Thanks!

$732.55,plus as there will be other problems with a ten year old unit,vs a full refit for $1800.00,once AC units start to fade and the constant cost to keep them going,it's better just to go too one of the big outlets and buy the the new unit with the low cost install,just work out if it's a back to back unit,or the heat pump is on the ground ,and the unit is piped up too the unit,buy new..imho..

$732.55,plus as there will be other problems with a ten year old unit,vs a full refit for $1800.00,once AC units start to fade and the constant cost to keep them going,it's better just to go too one of the big outlets and buy the the new unit with the low cost install,just work out if it's a back to back unit,or the heat pump is on the ground ,and the unit is piped up too the unit,buy new..imho..

Great, thanks willair. It looks like that is the route to go down. I've managed to negotiate it down to $1600 installed so not too bad.

Back