Repairs - what to do?

If you want to know the legal (rather than ethical or goodwill) position, I believe it hinges on what the PM told the handyman. (I'm sure, and grateful, that thatbum will correct me if I'm mistaken!)

If the PM told the handyman to do the works, then the work was authorised by you - as you've given the PM authority to act for you in this regard; the PM's agreement is legally indistinguishable from your agreement - and you have to pay the handyman.

Whether you have recourse against the PM for their mistake is a separate matter that would depend on your agency agreement, but I'd be willing to bet that the agency agreement indemnifies the PM for their mistakes in managing your property.

If the PM did not authorise the works, the handyman isn't entitled to be paid.

Whilst acknowledging that this situation is certainly one that warrants negotiation of a reasonable compromise rather than "lawyering up", I do find that knowing where it would likely go if I did push a matter "all the way", certainly informs what compromise I'm willing to consider reasonable. ;)

Okay thanks, I'll have a think about it and see whether a compromise can be reached.

Seriously, no

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/couple

Quoted snippet from site:
"The phrase a couple of, meaning ?a small number of; a few; several,? has been in standard use for centuries, especially with measurements of time and distance and in referring to amounts of money: "They walked a couple of miles in silence." "Repairs will probably cost a couple of hundred dollars." The phrase is used in all but the most formal speech and writing."

You have selectively quoted from the "idiom" section at the end of the link.

The first part of the reference is:

noun

1. two of the same sort considered together; pair.

By standard definition, couple equals two. Few or several is the term for 3 or more.
Marg

Here are some more useful definitions:

2. two people who are married or otherwise closely associated romantically or sexually.

2. mate or have sexual intercourse.
"as middle-class youth grew more tolerant of sex, they started to couple more often"

same thing happened to me last week. The gas plumber put in an oven/stove when I'd said no 'cause I knew I could get it cheaper.
It was just miscommunication and people making mistakes.
In the end it worked out well for me.
Like others have said, it's your property. It's all yours. Chill out. Time to meditate.

Personally , if it was something that needed to be done , ( unless it's something you can't afford , and if it is maybe you playing things too tight ) I'd contact the pm and say , I'll pay it , but please make sure that in the future you are more careful and follow my instructions as I want some one I can rely on ....

If you play hardball with you pm , you may find they are less co-operative and you may never know about it .

Be nice to your pm.

Two properties up for rent , pm says to prospective tenant " check this one out " .

People make mistakes . In any profession.

Cliff

Personally , if it was something that needed to be done , ( unless it's something you can't afford , and if it is maybe you playing things too tight ) I'd contact the pm and say , I'll pay it , but please make sure that in the future you are more careful and follow my instructions as I want some one I can rely on ....

If you play hardball with you pm , you may find they are less co-operative and you may never know about it .

Be nice to your pm.

Two properties up for rent , pm says to prospective tenant " check this one out " .

People make mistakes . In any profession.

Cliff

+1 to this sage advice.

Some dispute resolution and people skills are more important here than a couple of hundred bucks (whatever amount that means these days).

Back