reparing a phone line in the unit

hi
my property mgr has advised that my tenant tried to connect the internet to my unit however the net techinician said there is something wrong with my phone line. the property mgr said the quote he got was 250-350 without advising what the exact fault is. ive advised not to proceed with any repairs until i know exactly what the issue is.

1, if the lease came without a phone line being provided, are we obliged to repair this?
2, is this possibly a strata issue
3, is 250-350 a ballpark figure to repair a 'phone line issue' in anyones past experience?

many thanks all :)))

Unless the lease specifically said that a phone line was excluded, if there's a phone socket in the unit, it *is* included in the lease, and you're obliged to get it in working order.

I thought the repair would have to be done by your service provider, in which case, they have you over a barrel and "it costs what it costs".

I don't think this would be a strata issue, but I avoid strata-titled properties so will leave that to somebody else to address.

Is the phone line covered by a Telstra (or other company) line contract ?? This cost may be met by Telstra if it is.

Telstra contracts range from basic line rental which covers UP TO the wall plate. Different line plans come with varying levels of support from field techies. Even then it fairly cheap.

You can engage you own Austel registered contractor but if its a Telstra line it may be a free support call.

It could just be jumpering issue if the unit hasn't got a phone line previously or been inactive over 6-18 months?

If it's TPG, they usually send a letter/email to the tenant claiming there is no fault on their end and the problem is on the resident's end. Read further down, there's a small print that says there is $60 (i think) for a technician to ACTUALLY go onsite to do the jumpering.

Normally, we just get the tenants to pay that as they requested their service, the physical phone line/internet infrastructure is already there.

Everything works after that!

It could just be jumpering issue if the unit hasn't got a phone line previously or been inactive over 6-18 months?

If it's TPG, they usually send a letter/email to the tenant claiming there is no fault on their end and the problem is on the resident's end. Read further down, there's a small print that says there is $60 (i think) for a technician to ACTUALLY go onsite to do the jumpering.

Normally, we just get the tenants to pay that as they requested their service, the physical phone line/internet infrastructure is already there.

Everything works after that!

awesome advice everyone
am taking this on board.
I assume it is ADSL as well and u are correct, the line has been inactive for quite some time.
I should really start dividing my management fee's between you somersofters instead of my agent!!!!!!

I don't think this would be a strata issue, but I avoid strata-titled properties so will leave that to somebody else to address.

I'd say it is most likely a strata issue, unless the fault is with the termination within the unit. The following quote pertains to Qld, but is probably substantially the same everywhere.

Utility infrastructure is defined in Schedule 6 of the BCCM Act as:

cables, wires, pipes, sewers, drains, ducts, plant and equipment by which lots or the common property are supplied with utility services.

Utility services are also defined by Schedule 6, and include among other things:

water reticulation or supply
electricity supply
a telephone service
a sewer system
drainage
another system or service designed to improve the amenity, or enhance the enjoyment, of lots or the common property.

Section 20 of the BCCM Act provides that utility infrastructure is treated as common property, unless the utility infrastructure:

supplies a utility service to only one lot
is within the boundaries of the lot
is not within a boundary structure for the lot.

hi
my property mgr has advised that my tenant tried to connect the internet to my unit however the net techinician said there is something wrong with my phone line. the property mgr said the quote he got was 250-350 without advising what the exact fault is. ive advised not to proceed with any repairs until i know exactly what the issue is.

1, if the lease came without a phone line being provided, are we obliged to repair this?IF?What does your lease say?Btw a landline is still part of essential service
2, is this possibly a strata issueNup
3, is 250-350 a ballpark figure to repair a 'phone line issue' in anyones past experience?Small price to pay-happy wifi,happy life

many thanks all :)))

Apples above,tang.

Back