Replace Asbestos Roof - 1964 House

Firstly - I am aware of the issues of asbestos and try to take all care with this old house.
It is a 1964 Housing Commission 3 bed in Sydney with asbestos walls & roof.
110 sqm roof area, low pitch, easy access. N3 wind area.
Currently PPOR but will be IP in 2018 (kids finished school)
Planning to demolish and rebuild in around 10 years or so (2025)

I want to:
a- Fit new colourbond roof to allow solar panels and solar HWS to be fitted
b - Have colourbond roof to lower insurance premium
c - Overcome resistance by tenants/purchasers in the future
d - Add value

I have had quotes to do this job down as low as 10K. (Remove asbestos $2,500, new roof + insulation $7,500)

I can buy the roof materials for less than $5,000 ($2,500 colourbond, $2,500 insulation) so the roofer is earning $2,500 for about 6 hours work.....:eek:

Being a little short of cash I am wondering if any members have heard of a method to seal the existing asbestos roof and fit the colourbond sheeting over it...
Not too dodgy? Roof load OK? - all hardwood frames.

That will also allow a small air gap to act as insulation so saving another $2,500.....

It only has to last 10 years with solar panels and solar HWS before demolition.

Any ideas?

what are your calculation on savings by having solar over new roof and asbestos removal.

Rent the place out and get a full tax deduction for asbestos removal.

I was thinking it sounds a bit dodgy trying to put a new roof over asbestos but Im about to
gyprock over internal asbestos walls.

Last edited:
Its probably not a good idea to start drilling into old asbestos sheeting, it will probably crack and flake. Having said that I have used a nail gun to attach blue board to asbestos sheeting, however the sheets are in very good condition, not sure how it would work on weathered asbestos.

Solar hot water systems are a pain in the bum! imo i would go the heat pump option over solar any day.

If the plans to demolish and rebuild within 10 years are taken as certain - then I'm not sure any of it makes sense.

For these reasons you gave I would say :
a) Solar panels have a lengthy payback period without the subsidies.
b) Didn't know insurance was higher - never been asked about the roof when insuring.
c) Won't make much difference to tenants and the plan is to demolish rather trhan sell.
d) Won't add value if it is being demolished.

At the moment we are sealing and painting an asbestos roof in the expectation that it will add 5 - 10 years to it. As long as it is untouched asbestos is OK as a roofing material.

I have had quotes to do this job down as low as 10K. (Remove asbestos $2,500, new roof + insulation $7,500)

I can buy the roof materials for less than $5,000 ($2,500 colourbond, $2,500 insulation) so the roofer is earning $2,500 for about 6 hours work.....:eek:

$10k is a pretty good price including asbestos removal! also, takes a lot longer then 6 hours for the roofer! maybe more like 2-3 days, given they have to check leaks, seal leaks if any, cut the materials

Sorry for the hijack thread.

I have an estimate of $15k for removal and replacement with colorbond. Should get a firm price soon.

In regards to tax benefits. It is a recently purchased property so I assume I should rent it out for a year prior to doing the work. I have about $10k worth of other reno's I wish to do before tennanting.

If done before a tenant is in i can still claim depreciation for these during the lease? If that's the case there shouldn't be much difference?

In terms of claiming the new roof at 2.5% (Capital Works) it won't make much difference when you do it.
If the old roof is asbestos, getting it removed while it is a rental property gives you more latitude for claiming the removal cost as a 100% deduction.

If the plans to demolish and rebuild within 10 years are taken as certain - then I'm not sure any of it makes sense.

For these reasons you gave I would say :
a) Solar panels have a lengthy payback period without the subsidies.
b) Didn't know insurance was higher - never been asked about the roof when insuring.
c) Won't make much difference to tenants and the plan is to demolish rather trhan sell.
d) Won't add value if it is being demolished.

At the moment we are sealing and painting an asbestos roof in the expectation that it will add 5 - 10 years to it. As long as it is untouched asbestos is OK as a roofing material.

This is another alternative....interested to know more.
What are you materials are you using for sealing and painting?
Estimated cost?
DIY or contractor?

$10k is a pretty good price including asbestos removal! also, takes a lot longer then 6 hours for the roofer! maybe more like 2-3 days, given they have to check leaks, seal leaks if any, cut the materials

Had a roof done on another house last year.....95 sqm done in less than 6 hours by 1 tradesman and two workers.
Roofer has been onsite to quote and expects no more than 6 hours to complete....doing it as the original roofing has come off and dust vacuumed.....his estimate.
I was planning to have plastic over the roof for a night as I expected not enough time to complete in a single day......am I wrong...:confused:

This is another alternative....interested to know more.
What are you materials are you using for sealing and painting?
Estimated cost?
DIY or contractor?

Our roof is on a high set and is 220m2 - we are using a painter. Cost is around $7K for cleaning off mould, sealing and then 3 coats. I think it is the Parchem Emerclad paint being used. This is all from memory. For us it is about 30% the cost of replacing the roof. This is off the top of my head - I'll get more specific information over the weekend.

The painters are spraying it on.

We previously replaced an asbestos roof in Sydney because we needed access to re-wire the place. The tenants there wouldn't have cared or paid extra on way or the other.

Last edited:
Back