Replace rotting wooden window frames with aluminium frames?

Hi guys,

I'm after a little bit of advice. I have an investment property around Penrith area, and the wooden window frames are rotting. Its also a little hard opening windows. Glass seems to crack possibly because of the stiffness of the window when opening and closing.. Or tenants are just careless and breaking windows.

Would you replace them with aluminium window frames knowing that it's going to have tenants in there anyway? If so, what is usually a good price you would pay for this?

I also have a problem with my roller shutter, the belt has broken and I can't open it. Is this easy to fix yourself or what sort of price should I expect to replace that one?

If there are any of these two professionals on this forum, please contact me. Otherwise I would be interested in others who may have done it themselves.

Thanks

I was quoted $7900 for 6 windows. This is a lot more than i thought. Should i have expected this?

Also, how much would it cost to replace a roller shutter belt? I've been quoted $140 for this without a new winder. Not sure if there is any guarantee either. Is this a decent price?

Is this in a unit or apartment? Just asking as you say only 6 windows.

Just make sure the body corp allows it too if this is the case.

The Y-man

No, its a 2 bedroom house in Western Sydney

How bad are they.

Most likely they have been painted so many times they are hard to open and shut
that is why the glass cracks.

Im in the process which has taken two months to remove all sash windows
strip back to timber and repaint , windows now like new , easy to open and close.

Is it possible the rotten section can be replaced.

They are pretty hard to open and close like you said. The previous owners did the dodgiest paint jobs everywhere. I opened the windows the other day and found little bits of wood/paint chipping off as i opened it.

Not quite sure the rotten section can be replaced.. i just feel like its all just chipping away

How big are the windows?

For standard sized living/bedroom window, I would think more along the lines of $4000 for all 6, remove and install.

Would you consider replacing them with timber ones to maintain the character of the house? Probably not a real concern being an IP :p Your priorities would be low maintenance and longevity.

Timber windows are relatively easy to 'restore' - strip the paint, re-putty, repaint. Should be able to last many years if done properly. Is it the window panels itself or window frame/sill that's rotten? I'm sure they can be replaced by a carpenter.

Firstly I would strip them all back to bare timber and see how they slide/open. Then replace sashes if required, do any repairs (or get a carpenter in to repair) and repaint

I'm not very good at any handy jobs. I'd also be paranoid about asbestos and what not - even though its cladded. Thanks for the suggestions on carpenters and what not. I might look into it. If anyone has a good contact for aluminium windows for me to get another quote, please let me know.

I have now had a new tenant go in, so i might leave it for a while as they are on a 12 month lease and i do not want to disturb them as such. If they were happy to rent it from the start, then i guess its not too much of a bother to them.

2lkto9t.jpg

2vkc7wm.jpg

Have you tried some wax to help then slide easier?

I've done shutters before and that's a fair price. The thing is how soon will it happen again, I've seen so many half price shutters been installed half assed! Who did you call? It's unlikely half price will come our for service work

Maybe your window have a problem with sashcords?

I knew of a house with a similar problem, the windows wouldn't open or shut, and a couple of broken panes.
In the building inspection, it was noted a couple of stumps were gone. Some quotes to re stump, later noted that the windows and doors not opening or closing may have been a symptom of 'bad stumps'.

New stumps were installed on the problem area, and with a bit of sanding down of doors and windows, filling and painting properly all the windows, checking sash cords, (replacing cords where needed) actually opening all the painted shut windows also got rid of the damp in the corners.
Now that I write it all down it sounds like a lot of work, but I know the owner painted everything afterwards, and sold it for a good price afterwards!

Ask a local estate agent of it will increase the value by replacing the windows,

I hope this helps.:)

They look in better condition than mine before I started.
When your referring to chipping I think you mean the putty is coming away.
Just need to be gentle with a scrapper and chisel to remove the looses putty
and have replaced , better to have a tradesman do the putty job unless your
prepared to have a go yourself , need a proper putty knife and can take a while to
get the nack of it. Glass pane will cost about $45 , just replaced 6 on mine.

Like I said I had to cut mine out as they were painted in and also cut the
inner beading strips out so they to could be stripped as there was just to much
paint for the window to slide freely.

Beeding strips are not glued in , they should pull out after working them free
by breaking the paint line.

Also buy a cake of sunlite soap and rub all over the sash cord to make it slip
through pulley or wooden plugs if you have no pulley type.

Lower window sill will be something like a hardwood gum and frames a lighter
slow grown Oregon.

Back