Replacing an oven element

Hi all.

Has anyone had any experience in replacing an oven element?

Can it be done? I would assume so.

Is it easy to do, or should I be getting electrician/stove repair person to be doing it?

It's a westinghouse, if it makes any difference.

Regards
Marty

Marty I am a qualified electrician.

If it is a coil type element that simply plugs into a socket you just lift & pull the old one out and plug the new one in.

If you dont know what it is for sure simply give the stove make and model number to your element centre shop along with which element has gone. ie top front left, inside oven etc. They will be able to tell you if its a plug in element or hard wired.

If its hard wired you will need by law and electrician to install it for you.

Having said all that, it may not necessarily be the element at fault. It could be the switch and/or wiring in between element.

I would strongly suggest you seek the services of a qualified repair man tho.

Hope this helps.

To clarify, do you mean an element inside an oven, or on the stove a-top an oven?

I have the latter problem myself, the back/right burner has just kicked the bucket and I'd like to get that fixed rather than buy a brand new oven/stove combo.

Mine is a Chef "Royal" which looks at least 20 years old.

I was just planning on asking my PM's advice, although I haven't got around to it yet.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 63
I have the latter problem myself, the back/right burner has just kicked the bucket and I'd like to get that fixed rather than buy a brand new oven/stove combo.

Mine is a Chef "Royal" which looks at least 20 years old.

Hi ianvestor, these can be easily replaced as Rixter mentioned. They are surprisingly expensive though. I think i had to get one once for a job once and they were about $80-$90 new for one element. We ended up getting one at a demolition yard for $15 and plugged it in fine.

I don't know if anyone is interested but I have a free stove available. It looks to be fairly modern free standing ones but grubby due to tenants. Its in Ipswich if you want it.

Thanks for the replies.

For the record, I decided to have a go at replacing the element myself and found it very simple to do.

Now , just have to make sure the kitchen doesn't burn down ;)

Regards
Marty

MArty what type of element was it?
Hi Rixter.

No idea mate.

The one that goes INSIDE the oven itself.

Took the back off the stove, disconnected a few electrical clips (circuits?) that were attached to the element, popped the 2 clips inside the oven and took it out.

Luckily I still had the service booklet, so rang them up, gave them the details and picked up the new element and installed it in reverse to how I took it out.

Kind of a W shape without the points.

Regards
Marty

Does it matter that I did it myself???

If so................ssshhhhhhhhhhh

i think you'll be fine, its not rocket science. If theres a fire you can tell the insurance company that the receipt was burnt in the fire. Then you collect the insurance payout and go for a holiday -- it's a win win situation, you save on sparky fees and possibly get a payout :)

This is one of them damnable things, its hardwired so requires an electrician when a very similar model is plugin and Joe Public (me) can do it themselves safely.
Perhaps I am ThickAsABrick and cant turn a screw without cutting my leg off.
Simple things should be consistent and simple

That could be true but they would find it hard to believe a person that says

"an electrician caused this fire but i just don't know who he is."

i doubt investigators could tell the difference if a plug in element was installed by the owner or an electrician.

Back