Replacing appliances in IP's - pref brands/etc?

Does anyone have any 'go to' brands when replacing appliances in IP's? Or would you look more at the cost/features? Generally for PPORs we have always gone with mid-range Westinghouse or similar, figure been around a while, average reputation and cost and easy to get parts etc.

I'm looking to replace a gas cooktop at the moment, have never had gas appliances myself so no brand I have had good experience with. Real cheap ones are under $300. Cheapest 'known' brands are around $400, and then there are the ones with the 'flame fail' gas cut off feature jump up a couple of hundred depending on brand (or there's a Bunnings variety just under $400). I don't have a problem putting in a more expensive one (my problem tends to be that I am more likely to do that and make sure I have all bases covered when its an overkill, and I'm trying to avoid that!).

So...is there any benefit to putting in a more expensive unit with the gas cut off feature into an IP (considering the one that's there now doesn't have that...), and in your experience is it worth taking a gamble with the real cheap ones?

I would go for a basic one or at best one that matches the current features.

The main thing you need to watch out for is that the size you get is the same size as you current cooktop size. There are different sizes particularly if the cook top you are replacing is an older model.

Cheers

Yeah size is a problem, so is the age - current one is 20yr old and doesn't have electronic ignition so it needs that connected as well as gas and the cut out size on the new ones is bigger on any brand I have found. I've got someone who will do the whole install including new electrical for under $200, just need the cooktop now!

Back