Replacing dual flush cistern

I was told that my dual flush Fowler plastic cistern cannot be replaced with a modern dual flush 3/6 ceramic cistern without replacing the bowl as well because the bowl was designed for a 9-litre flush and not modern 6-litre full flush.

I can't find any source to verify this and to decide whether to replace the whole toilet suite or just the cistern and link/seat. I wonder whether the helpful people in SS has the information or experience to sort this out. Many thanks for any help.

I've heard that from a few plumbers. I've also seen a modern dual flush cistern fitted to an old style pan. It's not very successful. You really need to do a full flush to get rid of what's in the pan.
The modern pans are of a different design.
In my reno's I always replace the suite. They are very cheap to buy from a discount hardware store.
Hope that helps.

I've heard that from a few plumbers. I've also seen a modern dual flush cistern fitted to an old style pan. It's not very successful. You really need to do a full flush to get rid of what's in the pan.
The modern pans are of a different design.
In my reno's I always replace the suite. They are very cheap to buy from a discount hardware store.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Rob and Vincenzo for the contributions. I might give a call to Fowler agent about pan and cistern compatibility.

My old ceramic pan is attached to a dual flush plastic cistern, although 16 years old. The plastic cistern has cracked and needs to be replaced. It seems a shame to have to rip out a good ceramic pan as well and throw it away.

Lacking any info on the compatibility of the old dual-flush Fowler pan with the modern ceramic dual flush cistern I might have to replace the whole suite, provided Fowler agent can help. There are 2 of them. I think I will replace one at a time.

Thanks Rob and Vincenzo for the contributions. I might give a call to Fowler agent about pan and cistern compatibility.

My old ceramic pan is attached to a dual flush plastic cistern, although 16 years old. The plastic cistern has cracked and needs to be replaced. It seems a shame to have to rip out a good ceramic pan as well and throw it away.

Lacking any info on the compatibility of the old dual-flush Fowler pan with the modern ceramic dual flush cistern I might have to replace the whole suite, provided Fowler agent can help. There are 2 of them. I think I will replace one at a time.
Most times it's just better to replace the whole system cost wise,you can line everything up but it never looks any good with the old pan ,just think about the water saving costs over the next 10 years..willair
http://www.tradelink.com.au/

I was told that my dual flush Fowler plastic cistern cannot be replaced with a modern dual flush 3/6 ceramic cistern without replacing the bowl as well because the bowl was designed for a 9-litre flush and not modern 6-litre full flush.

I have similar problem and I was told by different plumbers that whole unit needs to be change (pan+cistern) but then one siad it can be done without
ripping out a good old ceramic pan.

But the quote plumber gave me was almost the same as replacing the whole thing, if yours is 16 years old then chances are it would be a "mid_level" cistern. mine is also "Fowler".

I have old style MOSAIC floor so I would prefer to just change the cistern.

KK

I've seen many examples of new cisterns matched to old pans. You might think your pan looks OK, but when you put a shiny new cistern on it, I can assure you it will look like cr@p. No pun intended.
It's not an expensive job to replace the lot. Just make sure you get the right type of package at the hardware store (ie P or S trap).
It will look great and you will be doing your bit for the planet. Not much point making money if there's no planet left upon which to enjoy it :)

Astaire & Rodgers, Torvill & Dean, Baily's & Bailys (had to get booze in there), Birds of a feather flock together, Cistern & Pan, No1s & No 2s. They're all designed to go together.

I've just fitted a Caroma ceramic 3/4.5 system in my PPOR and have another spare ready for the ensuite reno.

After much research (I like the look of that one) wife chose the model. I went and had a look and said to the guy, that thing won't flush S..t. How wrong I was! 4.5 litres is ample water requirement. It actually flushes better than the old 4.5/9 litre one.

If you're going to replace the cistern, go the chapel too.

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Francesco,

Reaffirming Robs comments re 'S' & 'P' traps; be careful and get the right info.

I'm changing out three dunnies now in a 1975 built house with internal and external dunnies.....with a very dodgy 2002 ensuite extension with shocking DIY plumbing work.

Two I can fit 'P' the other has to be 'S' due to the positioning of the sewage outlets away from the respective walls. Plumbers can fit various adaptors but this can often leave some obtrusive piping where you may not want it.

Take a rough measurement of the distance from the centre of the sewage outlet to the wall where you may mount the cistern. Then go and talk to one of the reps or trades service attendants at Tradelink or Reece.

Be wary of the Bunnings staff as the ones I've dealt with lately wouldn't know an 'O' ring from a contraceptive diaphragm!!

Cheers,

Ian.

It seems a shame to have to rip out a good ceramic pan as well and throw it away.

I agree and remember that the plumbers like all tradesmen are not always right.
It depends on what the pan looks like, what condition is in and what the new cistern looks like.

The hardest thing would be to find a cistern which is good, is cheap enough and matching to your existing 1 at the same time.

Last time I came across a cistern which was a good match to the pans in 1 of my townhouses so I replaced 3 cisterns at the same time.
Size could be an issue as well.
I had to paint the wall a little because the new cistern was slightly narrower.

I agree and remember that the plumbers like all tradesmen are not always right.
It depends on what the pan looks like, what condition is in and what the new cistern looks like.

The hardest thing would be to find a cistern which is good, is cheap enough and matching to your existing 1 at the same time.

Last time I came across a cistern which was a good match to the pans in 1 of my townhouses so I replaced 3 cisterns at the same time.
Size could be an issue as well.
I had to paint the wall a little because the new cistern was slightly narrower.

It is a pity to throw away a good ceramic pan.

However what are pan looks like, what condition it is in and what the new cistern looks like are completely irrelevent to function.

What matters is what the pan and cistern are designed to do and a 4.5lt
cistern is not designed to flush solids from a 9lt pan. the pan needs to suit
the cistern, it's a matter of design not looks.

You're correct about tradesmen not always being right but they would be correct more often in their field than non tradies.

I'm stuck in the middle being an ex-tradie.:)

Cheers

Pete

I am much grateful to all the helpful suggestions. The Fowler lady categorically advised me that the 16 yr old Fowler pan could only be matched with a specific cistern and that with all the discounts available for toilet suites it may be best to just get a new toilet suite.

That's what I did. I bought 2 sets of Stylus Vincenza from Bunnings. Installed one today at about the same time prospective tenants were having a walk through. It seems so appropriate to put in good stuff into the IP as it maintains the rental momentum. PM has advertised for $460 pw (30 pw increase) and is receiving good response.

A next door tenant walked through and was rapt with it - "it's a palace compared to what I am living in!" Externally the rental property she is living in looks exactly like my townhouse minus all the up-market fittings noticeable; the external stainless steel sensor light fitting to the venetian blinds. Apparently, the place she is living in has a leaky ceiling and pervasive carpeting that is badly in need of replacement. But then her rent is only $390 pw compared to mine of $460 pw.

To be truthful, at first I was a bit skeptical whether the asking price of $460 pw could be achieved until the feedback received today. More maintenance work tomorrow but it is rewarding enough! :)

I have old style MOSAIC floor so I would prefer to just change the cistern.

Same here. And I am also wanting to keep most of the original features in my house. SO I am planning to take the easy way out. Apparently if you have a mid-range cistern it works quite well to just put a litre bottle full of water in it. Or if, like me, you have an ancient cisterns - use 2 litres.

Bunnings has a special on the Gemini suit at present.

If you want just the cistern $94 if you want just the bowl $45 if you want
both $94, all I wanted was the cistern so I walked out with a bowl I don't want.

Back