Replacing fence - what type?

Hi all,

Just purchased my first investment property. As you can see from the picture of the back yard (attached), the fence is completely rotted and falling down. From a liability stand point I believe I need to replace it. And if I'm going to do that I may as well put a fence around the front of the house (currently un-fenced), as you can see from the two front view pictures attached. My view is that this may help me increase my rent and/or attract a better tenant over the long run, by providing a fence that could house pets or young children.

I've decided to just go for a treated pine fence, as I don't want to spend any extra money painting it. It could always be painted in the future if I were to renovate the house. So, what type of fence do you think I should put in? What fences add value/what type of fences do people like? I have no idea, wood fences all look the same to me.

Some options are:

Butted/No Gap - http://timberfencingmackay.com.au/images/fence type/no gap.jpg

15mm gap - http://timberfencingmackay.com.au/images/fence type/15mm capping inside.jpg

Also, which side do people think is the ugly side? The smooth side or the side with 3 palings showing (http://timberfencingmackay.com.au/images/fence type/15mm capping inside.jpg)?

TIA

Nick

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN0840.jpg
    DSCN0840.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 106
  • google-street-view.jpg
    google-street-view.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 108
Just purchased my first investment property.
Congrats :)

So, what type of fence do you think I should put in? What fences add value/what type of fences do people like? I have no idea, wood fences all look the same to me.
It does not matter what any of us think Nick. You need to have this conversation with the affected neighbours as they will be paying half and having a say in type etc.

Don't know where you are. Check with the council to see whether there are any restrictions before you commit.

Cheers.

Chris

If you go for the timber fence,do yourself a favour and paint before you put it up and then touch up where you need to.
This makes the fence last years longer ,stops twisting and you can then paint the edges,tops and bottoms properly.

It is up to you if you go hardwood or pine,hardwood is dearer,is harder to paint,needs the edges Arised,where treated pains is cheaper,ready and easier to paint.The benefits of hardwood is the amount of time they last outweighs pine..

The smooth side is the best side,so if you organize the fence,I would have that side,You can then easily paint it at any time with a roller. ;)

Roachy: I agree with you,colorbond rocks.

I also prefer colourbond, but as the rest of the fencing (sides) is timber, it may look a bit odd for one portion to be colourbond.

Perhaps, discuss your preferences with all neighbours and if you go ahead with colourbond at the back, maybe when the sides need replacing, you could match up with colourbond then.

Regards
Marty

I also prefer colourbond, but as the rest of the fencing (sides) is timber, it may look a bit odd for one portion to be colourbond.
Just thinking, a tenant probably wouldn't give a damn over different types of fencing.

Regards
Marty

Colourbond.....;)

And no need to go across the front....just come from the side fence to the front of the building and put a gate in there.

I would go treated pine at the rear and painted picket fence at the front
given the style of property it is. Perhaps even an entrance arch.
Remember the fence is the frame around the picture and street appeal generates interest from both buyers and tenants. Given the style it is more likely to attract tenants that are after a character home as opposed to 4bdrm brick.
Also can help down the track to compliment any renovations the property may undergo.

I'm just trying to get an idea from people what type of fence people think will look best and therefore attract more tenants.

Nick, the type of fence will not attract a tenant, especially at the back of a property. You could make an argument that a picket fence at the front could attract a tenant - just from a street appeal perspective.

I'm a fan of colorbond too but be aware that kids and cricketballs will dent it - and you just have to live with that. If you can't, then timber is very forgiving of this type of treatment.

All the best.

I'm just trying to get an idea from people what type of fence people think will look best and therefore attract more tenants.

As already stated by Marty, tenants don't care what the fence looks like.

I personally hate Colorbond, but they seem to outlast timber paling fences. :p

I prefer misty-green colorbond fence if it is a side or rear fence. If it is a front fence, I will prefer a smooth red brick fence, s metal fence or a combination of the two.

Back