Replacing Old Window Springs

The windows in the house I’m renovating have these old springs that hold the windows up. Some of them don’t work or have broken. I would like to look at other options to see what can be done with these windows without it costing too much.

Here are some pictures (you can see a spring in the top right side of the window and they have one on each side of the window):

DSC4592.jpg

DSC4593.jpg

I'm surprised that they aren't using cords and counter weights. A lot of these very old double hungs used a counter weight system which, over time, used to drop off into the wall cavity, never to be seen again. I'm planning to refurb my old double hung windows in my rural reno with reclaimed couterweights from other old windows. Check and see if this could be done with your windows.

These windows pre date the old sash cord and counterweight system.
I built an extension circa 1990 and wanted this style of window to match the look of the existing windows.
The builder supplied windows like these. From memory, there was a plastic tube covering the spring mechanism.
I'd suggest calling window manufacturing companies (Stegbar etc?) to see if they can provide a replacement or substitute mechanism.
I'm sure people still build using this window style when extending existing bungalow style properties, so there must be a demand for them.
Failing that, try dismantling one and take the mechanism to a spring works and see if they can provide a substitute.

From memory, there was a plastic tube covering the spring mechanism.

Yep, we replaced a few of these too. I'm pretty sure we got 'em from Bunnings although the guy we used to install them worked for a window manufacturing company.

Lots of different sized springs from memory, available at Bunnings.

Ok thanks everyone for the feedback, ideas etc.

I might do what Rob said and take a spring to the hardware shop and see if they have the matching pairs. Apparently these are called "Spiral Balances".

They just seem a bit clumsy and I thought there might be a better idea or modern replacement method but it doesn't seem there is much I can do besides replacing the springs.

There is nothing that can replace them other than getting new ones , they are easy to fit.

If you need more info PM me and I will take you thru it

getting the right size is the most important thing

stuart

These windows pre date the old sash cord and counterweight system.
You're kidding - predate? So they are like 1850s or something?!?!

I would have thought they'd be more recent! I've got counterweight systems and they are 1870s and 1900s respectively. This house has an extension with springs in the windows but it is an aluminium window from the 1970s. Every bleeping sash cord in this house was either cut, painted or broken and I had to have the lot replaced. Should have seen the guy swear getting the enormous counterweights out of the window to put new cord on them.

There is nothing that can replace them other than getting new ones , they are easy to fit.

If you need more info PM me and I will take you thru it

getting the right size is the most important thing

stuart

thanks Stuart, I'll keep that in mind when i'm installing them and have any issues.

You're kidding - predate? So they are like 1850s or something?!?!

I would have thought they'd be more recent! I've got counterweight systems and they are 1870s and 1900s respectively. This house has an extension with springs in the windows but it is an aluminium window from the 1970s. Every bleeping sash cord in this house was either cut, painted or broken and I had to have the lot replaced. Should have seen the guy swear getting the enormous counterweights out of the window to put new cord on them.
My house was built in 1960

What you have is Sash balances.
I think the only company who makes them are whitco
Bunnings do not stock these anymore.
As mentioned they come in different sizes so take one down and measure.

http://www.whitco.com.au/infoCentreDocuments/Window_Balance_Systems.pdf

The windows do look very old and wonder if they have added the sash balances instead
of replacing the cord and weight.

Yes they are quite old but probably from 1960 when house was built. I took one off and it is 78cm long. I found a place that sells them in Newcastle if anyone else is interested : http://www.aje.com.au/ they cost roughly $10 per item and I have to bring them in with me so I will do that in next few days.

That is what I thought too. My double hungs are also from the 1870s.

They look identical to the reproduction one's I had made.
Replacing the sash cords is heaps easier than installing these spring arrangements. Can't see why anyone would do that.
The cross bar on the upper window isn't painted. I'd suggets that the top window is fixed in place. The original one's would both move, allowing the cross bar to be easily painted.

These windows have spiral balances

sash and cords were the orginal way a double hung window was moved , but there is a lot of work in a S/cord window which is why most manufacturing companies went to spiral balances

If given the 2, spiral balances are way easier to fix than sash cord ( trust me on this )

sash cords would have been round since they first invented double hung windows spiral balances are the 'new' way of doing things .

stuart

But don't forget if you replace the sash cords and weight with a Balancer you lose the originality of the sound of the squeaking wheel in the frame as you open/shut the window.

It's a great sound, isn't it.
The sound I hate is the one when the sash cord breaks and the weight falls down into the wall cavity. Thankfully second hand building places sell them.
I've got a couple of windows in a building that I have to prop open with bits of wood. A pretty inelegant solution.

You can't replace one with the other , you either have spirals or cords and weights , what you have is what you get .

depreciator

you can get the old weights out , if you take out the 'divider' between the top and bottom window , you will see where there is a 'secret' compartment , if you pop that out you can reach in a get the weight back ( mainly as the cord to the weight will be standing upright )

though you will probably need to paint the window after you 'fix' it

stuart

You can't replace one with the other , you either have spirals or cords and weights , what you have is what you get .
You can if you route a larger rebate in to each side of the sash

depreciator

you can get the old weights out , if you take out the 'divider' between the top and bottom window , you will see where there is a 'secret' compartment , if you pop that out you can reach in a get the weight back ( mainly as the cord to the weight will be standing upright )

though you will probably need to paint the window after you 'fix' it

stuart
Sometimes you can get the pocket out without taking the parting bead out. In either case you have to take off the staff bead first (the front bead that holds the bottom sash in)

I bought some sash's today, had a few problems but I just wondered if someone can tell me what to do here.... When I screw them on, I was told that I should turn then the spring anti clockwise 6 times before screwing the bottom piece on but this doesn't seem to be keeping them tight as they drop down, like there is nothing holding them. So I wonder if I turned it anticlock wise more or less to fix this?

Back