Reporting a welfare cheat / fraudster

Would make an interesting poll, after all, many of us originate from convicts
Less than 5% of Australians originate from convicts.

Would those that want to dob in welfare cheats also think IP investor cheats should be reported ? There are a lot of these, I know of one that has avoided probably close to 100K in tax by never declaring rent from a paid off property for over a decade.

Less than 5% of Australians originate from convicts.

Would those that want to dob in welfare cheats also think IP investor cheats should be reported ? There are a lot of these, I know of one that has avoided probably close to 100K in tax by never declaring rent from a paid off property for over a decade.

I would think this would be considered tax avoidance and yes he should be dobbed in.

Absolutely. I dont see a difference.

Am I the only one here who dislikes dobbers/grasses?
We pay our taxes to employ people who are trained to expose these fraudsters so why should amateur sleuths with limited information be getting themselves involved?
Creates a suspicious society.Whatever next,dobbing in people using their mobile phones whilst driving?Reporting people who run their reticulation on the wrong day?
The list goes on,as womble66 says,people in glass houses............

Am I the only one here who dislikes dobbers/grasses?
We pay our taxes to employ people who are trained to expose these fraudsters so why should amateur sleuths with limited information be getting themselves involved?
Creates a suspicious society.Whatever next,dobbing in people using their mobile phones whilst driving?Reporting people who run their reticulation on the wrong day?
The list goes on,as womble66 says,people in glass houses............

If you think someone watering the grass on an off day is a suitable crime to report, go for it. If this crime had a substantial physical or financial impact on broader society then it should be reported. If someone in your family was bashed by thugs and you knew who they were you would adopt the attitude:

You don't need to be trained to recognise crime. We intrinsically know right from wrong. When someone tells you "I'm on disability support payments and can't work" while they are beside you doing push ups and sit ups...your right, this does make me suspicious. When they openly talk about being paid cash in hand for work on the side and then spend tens of thousands of dollars on their house while on benefits I'm also suspicious. No training required. Wrong is wrong.

Let me guess, these paid professionals should solve all crime without any input at all from the public? How does that work? Wouldn't it be better to provide what information you have then let them decide if it is relevant for follow up? I suspect most murder cases are solved this way. How about you witness a car crash, police ask you what you saw, you state : "sorry, I'm not employed or trained to comment on this matter"...:confused: I'm sure you would be a dobber just like me...

It sounds like you know this person Trippy but probably only half of their story.
Personally I don't think its your call,however its you who has to live with it if your assumptions are wrong.
Sorry,just not my way of doing things.

It sounds like you know this person Trippy but probably only half of their story.
Personally I don't think its your call,however its you who has to live with it if your assumptions are wrong.

Did you read my first post on page 1???

What Trippy does with the information he has is completely his call.

If his assumptions are wrong, then nothing will happen to the person and they will probably never even know that they were reported.

My sister in law was busted for cheating centrelink. She had to pay back the money and do community service. I thought she got off lightly.

Yes Trippy I did read your original post and Nemo,Trippy is looking for support in his/her decision to report this person.
I am from a place and an era where this was not looked upon favourably.I suppose times have changed and communities no longer govern themselves but old habits die hard and personally I could not inform the authorities on someone unless it was deadly serious.
Sometimes think people need to take a good long look in their own backyard first before worrying about what others are supposedly doing........

Yes Trippy I did read your original post and Nemo,Trippy is looking for support in his/her decision to report this person.
I am from a place and an era where this was not looked upon favourably.I suppose times have changed and communities no longer govern themselves but old habits die hard and personally I could not inform the authorities on someone unless it was deadly serious.
Sometimes think people need to take a good long look in their own backyard first before worrying about what others are supposedly doing........

If you saw someone being mugged on the street would you report it to the police?

There are some things that ALL of us let fly under the radar... but this is one thing that almost every hardworking and honest person will not stand for.

Why frickin' should we? Why should we carry these bludgers?

I would love to dob in a million welfare cheats, and would not lose a second's sleep over it.

I take great glee in dobbing in those filthy dee.heads who throw their ciggy butts out the window too....don't start me on causes of bushfires.

One of my mates is so prolific at that activity, he now has his own personalised forms from the EPA! LOL!

Last edited:
I take great glee in dobbing in those filthy ******* who throw their ciggy butts out the window too....don't start me on causes of bushfires.

Can you dob people in for that? I'd love to see a few people that I see doing it on the freeway. How do you report them? Can the police take it seriously considering it's your word against theirs?

Can you dob people in for that? I'd love to see a few people that I see doing it on the freeway. How do you report them? Can the police take it seriously considering it's your word against theirs?
Yes, you absolutely can, and the onus is on THEM to prove otherwise by going to court to fight the fine - I think it is $100 from memory, so it's not worth their time to do that..

You need to document all factors - time of day, colour of vehicle, type of vehicle, registration, description of driver, location/name of road/s, etc...

Then call/log in to the EPA and go from there.

It's a classic!! Love it.

And further to the "filthy smokers" issue; had to walk from our workshop to the newsagent this morning along the main road footpath (yesterday was absolutely packed down our way due to the hot day - folks at the beach etc)...

The footpath on my 100 metre walk this morning was absolutely thick with cig butts and other rubbish from the crowds, and stunk like about 10 ashtrays.

Just a disgrace.

Yes, you absolutely can, and the onus is on THEM to prove otherwise by going to court to fight the fine - I think it is $100 from memory, so it's not worth their time to do that..

You need to document all factors - time of day, colour of vehicle, type of vehicle, registration, description of driver, location/name of road/s, etc...

Then call/log in to the EPA and go from there.

It's a classic!! Love it.

And further to the "filthy smokers" issue; had to walk from our workshop to the newsagent this morning along the main road footpath (yesterday was absolutely packed down our way due to the hot day - folks at the beach etc)...

The footpath on my 100 metre walk this morning was absolutely thick with cig butts and other rubbish from the crowds, and stunk like about 10 ashtrays.

Just a disgrace.

If this is correct it is a downright disgrace!
Any Tom,Dick or Harry could fabricate this against a totally innocent law abiding citizen for any number of spiteful reasons.
Our elected and fully trained police officers should police our society not Joe Blow with his perceived prejudices against any number of issues that are currently aggravating him.That is dangerous.......

If this is correct it is a downright disgrace!
A DOWNRIGHT DISGRACE!!! LOL.

"IT'S AGAINST OUR FREEWILL, OUR RIGHTS, OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES!!!!"

Please.

Calm down a bit; 99.9% of these incidents would be for real.

Any Tom,Dick or Harry could fabricate this against a totally innocent law abiding citizen for any number of spiteful reasons.
Well, yes you could, and people get framed for stuff all the time.

One of my ex-bosses used to have a metre of sand delivered to folks driveways just for a joke...similar thing if you think of it (dobbing the smoker) as a practical joke - which could happen too.

And that is why the process has good structure and recourse for the aggrieved if they choose...go to court, if you think you've been framed. We have never had anyone contest the ones we have dobbed in.

Our elected and fully trained police officers should police our society
They do, they get no thanks, and there is not enough of them to police filthy litterers.

not Joe Blow with his perceived prejudices against any number of issues that are currently aggravating him.That is dangerous......
Don't you think you are being idealistic and PC, and using the "I've got rights!" cr@p?

So, to have a prejudice against litter is not a good thing, and we should all turn a blind eye, and just chuck our rubbish anywhere and anytime we like and live in a pig swill?

The Gubb set up the program because of a continual outcry, and bloody good on them for it. Sometimes Gubbs do good things, despite what the little folk think about how it affects them personally.

If you have a problem with people being upset by disrespectful and selfish litterers; I'd say you might be one of these fabulous humans who litter?

Or, if not; get onto Parliament and change the system...get rid of any laws against litterers and litter, just so the occasional "framee" might be saved....good one.

Last edited:
I think last time I checked in our judicial system one is innocent until proven guilty.

Hence the onus would be on proving the crime...

I think last time I checked in our judicial system one is innocent until proven guilty.

Hence the onus would be on proving the crime...
True.

The report is an allegation - same as anyone else who gets pinged for an alleged offense.

Then you have your day in court if you want.

From what I'm told - in the case of the smoker who throws the butt out the window - not many take up the option...why would that be do you think?

The fact that we haven't seen some aggrieved punter appearing on ACA so far whining "I wuz framed!" would be testament enough that the system is working ok.

On that note; seeing as how ACA is the show for the masses; what they bloodywell should be doing is a segment on just how effective that EPA program is; show a few dramatisations of the dobber and the dobbee driving down the road and so forth. It'd be gold!

And hopefully all those smokers out there who litter, or think they "have rights" might pull their heads in a bit.

Last edited:
Back