reports of noisy pipes in ceiling?

new tenants have reported to pm that there is noise coming from the pipes in the ceiling. a plumber was sent to investigate. the verdict was the pipes are aging and need to be resecured.
this was quoted to cost in excess of $300.
requires 2 plumbers.
anybody heard of this before?
regards

What is happening is that your pipes are hammering, this means that they are vibrating when the tapes are used, sometimes caused by excess water pressure, tap washers that need replacing or loose pipes.

In your case loose pipes.

What the plumber needs to do is to secure the pipes to the nearest timber, this can be done by adding a piece of timber and then clamping the pipe to the timber, cost $300 seams resonable - depending on how many places the pipes are secured.

By not doing it the noise will get worse and the pipes may burst.

http://www.swiftplumbing.com.au/sydney-water-hammer

thanks for that collector.
apparently the pm described the noise as not hammering but more like a moaning type sound. the tenant bizarrely said it sounded like the noise a ghost would make!!!
we have not had this type of complaint previously.
however if it does need to be fixed so be it.
thought it worthwhile asking if anyone had had this type of concern before.
regards.
also does anyone know if the $300 will fix the prob for good?

Is this only happening when they open a tap. ?
If so may be more like a problem at the tap itself as well as high water pressure. Not just the pipe securing.

You may bolt the pipes down but the vibration will still exist if it is starting at the tap washer and moving along the pipe as a wave. The hammer effect and wave is caused by the seat of the washer vibrating up and down at the taps base. Thus causing a ripple and noise effect along the pipe

May need to replace washers with anti hammer spring types and grease up tap handles and washer shafts. Or install a reduction valve or anti hammer valve.

I think the plumber is playing with his pipe if he thinks just bolting down will fix it :p

Washing machine taps are also a common problem for this type of hammering.

Try a different plumber.
Search "Water Hammer"

Try a water hammer arrester on the WM taps. I had a similar problem when I moved into PPOR 4 1/2 yrs ago. Worked a treat. That annoying sound in the backseat - Gone. Sorry that ad was just on TV. Couldn't help myself.

Project 1080

The Project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Is this only happening when they open a tap. ?
If so may be more like a problem at the tap itself as well as high water pressure. Not just the pipe securing.

You may bolt the pipes down but the vibration will still exist if it is starting at the tap washer and moving along the pipe as a wave. The hammer effect and wave is caused by the seat of the washer vibrating up and down at the taps base. Thus causing a ripple and noise effect along the pipe

May need to replace washers with anti hammer spring types and grease up tap handles and washer shafts. Or install a reduction valve or anti hammer valve.

I think the plumber is playing with his pipe if he thinks just bolting down will fix it :p

Washing machine taps are also a common problem for this type of hammering.

Try a different plumber.
Search "Water Hammer"

Hi Gee Cee

What you're describing is a spinning tap valve which causes vibrations(hammer) through the pipes.

The simple cure is to flatten the end of the valve so that it sticks in the tap
spindle and stops spinning.

Cheers

Pete

thank you all for those comments.
can anyone also advise whether this is a potentially serious problem or merely a sound issue?
another query a hot water system was replaced in the ceiling about 1 yr ago would there be any connection?
many thanks again.

Back