Request from tenant to replace locks

Landlord didn't steall the keys or lose them, so the tenant pays. Check where u stand with your Landlord's Insurance if you don't address the issue immediately. Perhaps the tenant's contents policy or car insurance policy will cover goods in her car. Ask the locksmith how much for a bolt inside the back door and a new barrel on the front. Tenant should pay, but landlord should offer to expedite safety and get it done asap. Tenant can pay extra per week until paid if you like.
Cheers
crest133

Tenant Insurance
Maybe some of the insurance reps on here might comment on what insurance a tenant should have and whether they might be able to claim for such loss?

It always strikes me as a little odd that the benefits of insurance to tenants is rarely if ever mentioned.

The OP question has been answered a number of times.

Tenant Insurance
Maybe some of the insurance reps on here might comment on what insurance a tenant should have and whether they might be able to claim for such loss?

It always strikes me as a little odd that the benefits of insurance to tenants is rarely if ever mentioned.

Most likely contents insurance, or perhaps car insurance. Both of which are not the landlords problem.

Well, you can't forget it, because you'd only claim on your insurance if it's your liability. :) Also, the issue then becomes about who pays the excess... which may not be any less than the cost of the claim anyway.

I'm just saying-imagine if car thief comes back and trashed the joint (unlikely but hey, it is my imagination). I am not sure insurance company will accept "but I thought tenant should have paid for new locks", when you were knowledgeable about the situation.

If that is the case, then you would have to weigh it all up

I'm just saying-imagine if car thief comes back and trashed the joint (unlikely but hey, it is my imagination). I am not sure insurance company will accept "but I thought tenant should have paid for new locks", when you were knowledgeable about the situation.

If that is the case, then you would have to weigh it all up
Sorry, good point. I agree that the landlord should *insist* the locks are changed immediately, to protect their own insurance, yes. If the tenant won't do it, as landlord, I'd do it at my expense and lodge a claim for reimbursement rather than just leave it, yes.

Surely their obligation is to make the property "securable" rather than secure, as the landlord can't control the tenant's lack of care for their own safety.

The logic that a landlord is obligated to provide a workaround for the tenant's own behaviour adverse to their interests would surely lead to some absurd conclusions. e.g. If the tenant said "I always forget to lock the doors when I go out, but I don't feel safe with my place wide open all day. Could you please pay for self-closing and self-locking doors?", I presume that would be legitimately denied.

Well this is why the question is whether the tenant was negligent or not. Its not exactly clear from OP's post either.

I wonder what all the landlords in this thread would do if the keys were stolen from inside the house rather than from the car?

Whether stolen from the house or the car I still see it as a tenant issue and they pay for new locks or claim on their house (or car) insurance.

I did mention it earlier and I think it is an issue that there is a problem for the landlord if someone has keys. As a landlord if the tenant refused to change locks or claim on their insurance i still would do it and push to be reimbursed. I would not leave my IP at risk.

Copying a key can be as little as $2. How many landlords change locks for security/insurance purposes after a tenant leaves, to ensure they have not made any copies?

If I was a tenant and I had to pay for lost keys but not for stolen keys. I would never loose them. However if they go missing someone must have stolen them every time.

If my tenant was to insist the locks are changed and refused to pay for them I would consider the increased costs of the locks when reviewing the rent.

As a landlord if the tenant refused to change locks or claim on their insurance i still would do it and push to be reimbursed. I would not leave my IP at risk.

On prinicple, I wouldn't be rekeying the locks until the tenant leaves. Until then, it is the tenant's problem.

On prinicple, I wouldn't be rekeying the locks until the tenant leaves. Until then, it is the tenant's problem.
So the car thief comes into the house while the tenant is at work, trashes it doing $10s of K worth of damage, and your insurance claim is denied because you knew that your property was insecure and did nothing to fix it. Even if you can hold tenant responsible - which I bet you couldn't - they've got nothing for you to get, anyway, quite possibly.

I'd see that as my problem, personally. And a rather big one.

Whether stolen from the house or the car I still see it as a tenant issue and they pay for new locks or claim on their house (or car) insurance.

I did mention it earlier and I think it is an issue that there is a problem for the landlord if someone has keys. As a landlord if the tenant refused to change locks or claim on their insurance i still would do it and push to be reimbursed. I would not leave my IP at risk.

As the OP initiated it, the Tenant did not ensure that the keys were kept in a secure place. It is up to the tenant to rekey the locks if they don't feel secure - the Lessor's obligation is to ensure that the locks work.

The keys were stolen in a break in to the tenant's car. If it were 100% legit, then the tenant should lodge this as part of their claim to their mv insurer.

As the OP initiated it, the Tenant did not ensure that the keys were kept in a secure place. It is up to the tenant to rekey the locks if they don't feel secure - the Lessor's obligation is to ensure that the locks work.

The keys were stolen in a break in to the tenant's car. If it were 100% legit, then the tenant should lodge this as part of their claim to their mv insurer.

It would be good to ask your insurer if you "know anything that could put your house at risk". I would put money on the answer being that if I knew the keys were stolen (whether or not it is the tenant's fault) I would be in trouble if someone used those keys to come in a trash my IP. I would not want to take that risk.

If I didn't know the keys were stolen, then it is a different scenario, but if the tenant has told me, then I believe the insurer would see that as me knowing something that puts my property at risk.

I might not think it is fair, but lots of things in life are not fair.

Back