Residential on Business Zone 1

I live in Melbourne and i am interested in buying a CIP.
The one i am looking at is zoned 'Business Zone 1'.
It has a shopfront and an attached 2 bedroom residential property at the back.

My question is if i decide to buy it can i legally rent out the residential property at the back separately from the commercial shop-front?? Keeping in mind that it is zoned 'Business Zone 1'.

if not....
would i need to subdivide or re-zone or apply for a permit to be able to do the above?

or is my only option to rent it all out as one?

I am a newbie to this forum (and to zoning) so your reply would be much appreciated.
:)

Thanks, Tom

From past experience, you will need to make sure that the two are self-contained. Firstly for the tenant's security - you don't want anyone going through your property willy nilly (they won't be able to get insurance) and secondly they are different uses keep them apart (may need a firewall).

thanks guys for your helpful information.

it sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth...
i might just stick to single-use commercial or single-use residential for this purchase :)

In a business zone 1 you will need a permit for home occupation but not for a shop.

I don't believe this is correct. Usually in a Business 1 zone a dwelling is a permitted use as long as frontage on the ground floor level is less than 2 metres wide.

There may be other complications with access/security etc but from a zoning point of view separately letting the residence should be fine.

Back