Residential real estate investment survey

Hi everyone. I am a final year university student in QUT Brisbane. Currently, I am conducting a survey about the residential real estate investment for my final year project. Hence, I hope everyone in this forum can spare some of your time to share a little bit of your golden experience in investing in real estate by answering some of the simple questions in my questionnaire.

To complete the questionnaire, please click on the link below:

Residential Real estate survey <---Click here

I really appreciate your time spent for this survey. Thank you very much

I find some of the questions a little bit too "black and white", where there is no single answer.

In particular:
In your opinion, which of the following will generate better return?
Residential property that is located in metro area
Residential property that is located in regional area

Cash flow property
Capital gain property

Units
Houses

I don't understand this question:
What is your approximate residential real estate investment budget?
Less than $10,000
$10,000-$50,000
$50,000-$100,000
$100,000-$200,000
More than $200,000

Is this an annual budget for how much of our own money to invest, or the purchase price of a property (seems low), or the cash input per purchase? Very unclear.

But, I filled it out (I'm a bit of a sucker for surveys) and I hope you get the results you need.

Q6 is also a it funny.
What criteria of residential real estate do you look for when selecting a residential property to purchase? (You may choose more than one answer)
Price
Surrounding environment
Neighbourhood
Safety
Amenities
Accessibilities
Growth possibilities
Rental income possibilities

Who is going to untick anything from the list. May be ranking them may add more value.

I assume your question 14 (What is your approximate residential real estate investment budget?) is asking about the holding cost.

Good Luck.

Hi everyone. I am a final year university student in QUT Brisbane. Currently, I am conducting a survey about the residential real estate investment for my final year project. Hence, I hope everyone in this forum can spare some of your time to share a little bit of your golden experience in investing in real estate by answering some of the simple questions in my questionnaire.

Rather than asking people their opinions, why not do actual case studies of real investments over the last 10 years or so, and evaluate their outcomes.

You might actually learn something. :)

Everyone of those circular questions only ever comes back too 3 items
Price
Size
Location..

Last edited:
Or...

Value
Yield
CG potential
Yes you could look at it that way value is only what the next in line can preceive it too be,Yield can change very quickly,CG as people find out
always comes back Value,where as price-size-location,covers them all.

I did the survey, but would suggest that the strategies you've identified are not executed in isolation. One property may be subject to many such strategies, e.g. buy, renovate, rent, hold, sell some years later.

Why not get some real property data from the web: find some actual houses that sold recently, and then find their previous sales details. From those figures you could work out what the real investment return was, since you know the interest rates and can discover the rent returns.

Or...

Value
Yield
CG potential
Hi Mimi289,

With investors there's three central purchase criteria which always pop up.

1) Property type
2) Location
3) Budget

Depending on how the investor weights these three criteria and what they are seeking to achieve the other criteria have to flex to suit.

For example some people just want a brick house in excellent condition and have a 350k budget, this means they need to be more flexible on their location and can't force a buy <5 from the Brisbane CBD.

As most people have a fixed budget, including those trading or value adding the key trade off is the type of property and location.

Common requests investors have.

> Close to CBD, inside 5 or 10k especially
> brick housing (not fibro/post war/qld'r)
> No strata fees
> High yield
> Capital growth potential (everybody wants this, even those people who want the highest yields as well)
> Future development potential (splitter block, higher density zoning)
> Low maintenance property
> For strata property, small well managed complexes with low strata fees
> Walk to work/transport/lifestyle

Hopefully that's of some help.

Back