Residential tenancy tribunal - Results

A

Anonymous

Hello
I have just been to hell and back, but now it feels worth it.
I took my tenants to the tribunal in mid october for being 37 days late in the rent (400 p/w). I ended up getting scheduled payments until they make up the arrears. Case closed, or so I thought, the tenants decided to get nasty and take me to the tribunal for maintenance issues. I spent the last week working about 3 hours a night re-tracing receipts phone bills etc to build up my case. All I can say is preparation is definitely the key. If I can pass on anything from this experience that is :
KEEP A DIARY OF EVERY CONVERSATION.
OF EVERY BIT OF MAINTENANCE CARRIED OUT
KEEP PHONE RECORDS OF ALL CORESPONDENCE (and note what the call was for).
this way you will not spend an entire week like I have retracing my steps.
The result was the tenant did not receive any monetary compensation which is what I was very happy about. They are however allowed to give 1 week notice before finding another place to rent without having to pay advertising, letting fee, etc which considering they are at the 10 month mark doesn't really effect me to much. The other order is still in effect so if they miss 1 payment of the scheduled payment plan, they will be evicted, this would be good for me because insurance will cover me until I find another tenant so either way I am happy, and will not lose out, although it really does go to show what a lease agreement is really worth.
Regards AR

Last edited by a moderator:
Back