Resigning due to bullying?

This is not property related, but I'm hoping someone might know the answer.

I made quite a long post, but the question really boils down to this.

If someone resigns from a position and attaches a letter explaining the reason is because of bullying from a boss, and outlines a few instances, could this lead to any trouble for the person resigning?

because of bullying from a boss

Is there such a thing ??

In my career, I had probably 5 Ozzie bosses and about 6 or 7 American bosses. All, without fail, bullied me. No big deal. Kept us all in line and got the job done, rather than sitting around navel gazing and talking about how we were all feeling. What a crock. It wasn't as if it was going to be the other way around.

Someone had to be top dog.....and in most situations, other than white collar Govt and lawyer office environments where laws are dreamt up and enforced, the boss is the top dog.

When you have very very very strong under-dogs, a lot of them only respect one thing. Introduce a namby-pamby politically correct sensitive boss to manage a pack of very very very strong under-dogs and see how you go....they won't be boss for more than 5 minutes.

I'm glad I got out of the workplace when I did. This PC BS has got way out of control. Nowadays bullying can be brought up if some underling doesn't get their way and wants to argue the toss with a boss. Crazy stuff.

As a "boss", I second Dazz.
I want people to do a job the way I want it and stfu until it's done.
Exception being questions related to the work.
After it's done we can talk about the job, any comments or review.
I take satisfaction and pride in getting the job done, and I want others I pay to do the same.
All others can GTFO. Anyone disrupting the work flow/process will also GTFO.

There are plenty options out there, but if you work in a gov office or big biz where office talk is more important than productivity then you will have to deal with office politics/bichiness.

And if your gonna tell me i am a badass bully boss, I really hope your not expecting a positive reference other than "I am glad he/she resigned".

Life is too short to work under a boss who cannot control their anger.

I'd suggest retaining a copy of any letter written, in case it is needed in the future.

PS.
I agree that there are some personality types of employees, that would only respect the "big dog" attitude.
Chances are, they may be "bullies" in their personal life. (even if they don't recognise that fact)

Thanks Kathryn. Dazz and Piston, you really are barking up the wrong tree.

I just want to know if somebody writes a reason for resignation, whether that could possibly be seen as grounds for that person to have any action taken against them.

Does anybody know how such a letter could be used against the writer (as opposed to jumping to conclusions - all wrong)?

Wylie do you really need to state the reason for resigning? I would be very careful about putting anything in writing that could be used against you. In the end if a reference check was done by a future employer it would not look good.
I am sure there are circumstances when verbalising your reasons could be productive or at least not damaging but you would have to judge that one as we don't know the circumstances.

Hi Wylie,

IMHO it would be better just to submit a letter of resignation without specifying any reasons at all.

No doubt writing a resignation letter including reasons can be good for the soul, but in my experience will do little for the standing of the person resigning.

Never ever burn the bridges, as one day you might want to return. You could possibly find for example that the person causing all those reasons for resigning has long moved on, but the letter you wrote will be on file forever...........:(

ciao

Nor

Thanks Handy and Belleran. There really is no reason in the circumstances except to gain some satisfaction, and possibly have somebody able to make a "complaint" that nobody else seems to dare to do, but also because this person has everybody cowed. Concern over any reference is not an issue at all.

It is a long but rather simple story. Dazz and Piston have both jumped to very wrong assumptions - completely missed the mark though but I'm not really needing to write the story here, just curious as to what would be the risk of stating the truth, in writing.

If there is any risk, then the next best option would be to simply gain what satisfaction there is in having a face to face confrontation and get it "out there".

Thanks for your helpful replies though.

Thanks Kathryn. Dazz and Piston, you really are barking up the wrong tree.

I just want to know if somebody writes a reason for resignation, whether that could possibly be seen as grounds for that person to have any action taken against them.

Does anybody know how such a letter could be used against the writer (as opposed to jumping to conclusions - all wrong)?

Well it depends

Im sure that a new employer will want some form of referee, and that side may be well worth protecting.

Bullying is such a misused term these days, that I no longer understand what it means, especially in a work sense.

Without knowing context, its hard to comment.

ta
rolf

Thanks Norwester and Rolf. Too many wacky stories about this person, honestly. If I start listing some of the crap she comes out with, I may never stop.

I'm only a casual, so not concerned about any career path or issue getting a reference if I needed one. My immediate boss would give me one without blinking. I'm working for my own enjoyment, so I'm not concerned about references or career paths.

This bully is under the care of a therapist, but needs to seriously increase her visits and/or her dosage :p. It is NOT my issue. She has some serious issues, some of which I believe could be diagnosed by the correct health professional, but as long as she is not in my face, I can cope.

If (as I fear) she is in my vicinity more than the small fraction of my working week than at present, I would resign, but I'd love to document some of the wacky behaviour, wacky outbursts in front of customers and bullying she has come out with. People above her and below her feel the same, make remarks to each other and to other staff, but nobody stands up to her.

I do stand my ground and explain why I have done something, but often I am too gobsmacked to be able to get any words out until I've thought about "what just HAPPENED?" She has inconsistent rules and what is black one day is white the next. You cannot argue with a nutcase.

She does my head in, but thankfully I see her only a few hours every fortnight and I avoid her like the plague (so does everybody else). If that contact time increases, I'm gone. I'd just really like to be the one brave enough to actually acknowledge the elephant in the room.

So really, it would be for my own satisfaction. I can get the same satisfaction from telling her myself.

I've worked with a lot of different bosses and hundreds of different people and have never come across a nutter like this one.

I was warned by several people in the organisation before going for this position, but I thought "how bad can she be"? :)

Thanks Handy and Belleran. There really is no reason in the circumstances except to gain some satisfaction, and possibly have somebody able to make a "complaint" that nobody else seems to dare to do.

That raises a question of why dont you make the complaint?

just curious as to what would be the risk of stating the truth, in writing.

Consider your next employer and the questions they will ask, "why did you leave your last job" would you tell the truth? if you do then what will you say to "why didnt you make a formal complaint about it?"

It could go in either way, the new boss might think you are a bit spinelmess for not putting in a complaint about an abusive boss, (s)he might think that is a good think or a bad thing depending on their own situation and the position you are applying for. Or they might see it as you being a 'team player' and not rocking the boat.

Either way to me it is a risk.

Have you thought about lodging a formal complaint and detailing the grievances? that can have multiple outcomes from staying at the company or having the mediator determine that there cannot be a working relationship between the 2 parties and maybe awarding you severance pay (pending years of service etc)

What is your boss's attitude toward you? does he think you are a good worker? If you raise the issue and 'have it out' then thats a possible good reference burned

I guess you just need to look at your position and what you are willing to do and willing to sacrifice, it sounds like you are willing to sacrifice your current job because of your boss, how much are you willing to hurt your future employment options just to have the personal satisfaction of telling your boss he is an ****?

personal satisfaction doesnt pay the bills :)

good luck with your choice though

I would just go quietly. As other have said you don't want to burn any bridges.

If you've resigned and the letter goes to HR / big bosses your boss will have the opportunity to defend themselves but because you're gone your opportunity to defend yourself will be limited.

If the boss is truely aweful this is likely reflected by a increased turnover with their staff - the company will likely realise that something is wrong.

If your new employee hears about the letter, they may also be inclined to think that you are just a serial complainer - this of course is why you should never complain about previous workplaces/bosses to new employers. They start to wonder what you will say about them down the track.

Having said that I know how frustrating it can be, but I don't personally believe that in the end you'll get enough satisfaction out of raising the complaint to make it worthwhile. The last thing you want is to be seen as someone who complains.

As for specific things that may occur with a letter like that - find someone a friend who works in HR from a different company and put your question to them.

Best of luck!

Thanks Mango and Waldo.

Our posts probably crossed, but there is no issue or concern at all about references etc. I'm working for my own enjoyment. I may or may not look for something else.

More frequent contact may or may not happen, but I'm just lining my ducks up in case I need to jump ship :).

A formal complaint is something I might consider. Or maybe I'll just tell her what I really think and then resign.

I don't really wish her any personal ill will, but just wish someone, anyone would man up and give her a dose of reality of what an inconsistent PITA boss she is, what people really think of her. Maybe that is my job :D.

I've been a victim in one workplace from coworkers- and I was bloody hard to take. I didn't even realise way back then that harassment applied to anybody who was a victim, not just somebody who was a different gender, race, religion etc.

Those people got away with that behaviour and it probably reinforced their actions in the future to make it difficult for anybody who was not a part of the group.

I had an employee who bullied, and I didn't realise until four resignations had taken place. Only the fourth person told me what was really happening, and it made the workplace a more difficult place for employees, especially those who tolerated and stayed, as well a less productive workplace. This employee got warnings, but the behaviour reoccurred, and so was sacked. At one stage there was even a customer complaint, so it probably affected my business in more ways than one.

Try to find somebody within the organisation to talk to. If there is none go external. This person needs to learn that their behaviour is wrong. If at all possible try to address it rather than just leaving.

If you continue working for this person, then you MUST immediately commence a diary detailing any unprofessional behaviour - dates, times and importantly if any other staff member witnessed the incident. You need never use it, but it will come in useful it things ever hit the fan and allegations are made against you.

However, as said, you really only have two choices - either stand and fight or go quietly.

If you go quietly, there is nothing to stop you writing the nastiest resignation letter you can, print it out, read it a couple of times then tear it up. You will then be in the correct frame of mind to write a simple, bland resignation letter.

Good luck. I worked for a person with bi-polar disorder (medicated) and there is no way I would still be working there if he hadn't left.
Marg

Thanks Geoff and Marg. Differing answers, both make sense.

Geoff, I would be happy to make a complaint. Unfortunately she is the one who could fire me but as I said, I'm not bothered by that. I just really want to point out the stupid, inconsistent requests she gives out. I'm not spending enough time helping customers, or I'm spending too much time helping customers :D. I'm doing nothing differently, but it is how she perceives it.

She has called other managers from the phone at the counter and torn strips off them whilst I have customers looking scared and wondering why (like I am also wondering) she cannot make that call in the privacy of the back room?

Maybe some days she isn't medicated :confused:. Maybe she has is just having a bad hair day. Some days she is Jeckyll, next day she is Hyde. Sometimes she can switch between those two in an hour. Makes my head spin :eek:.

Marg... I think you might have hit the nail on the head re diagnosis. Writing up "a series of unfortunate events" this morning helped a lot. Luckily there is nobody who feels any differently, so we laugh about it at work. Luckily also it is a fleeting contact time, unless that changes, which it may, and then I'm gone.

Hubby asks each night I have worked "was the seagull there" and if she was I run through the list of "what she did today", we have a laugh and that is enough to get it off my chest. I just thank my lucky stars that I don't need the job and can leave without notice if I feel like it. I would not do that to my everyday boss, but I'd do it to the seagull without blinking.

I'm not even sure it could be called bullying, but I just want to know what risk I take by documenting some of the rubbish we endure.

If you go quietly, there is nothing to stop you writing the nastiest resignation letter you can, print it out, read it a couple of times then tear it up. You will then be in the correct frame of mind to write a simple, bland resignation letter.

This is probably what I will do. Good advice. Thanks.

As you and I both know from your invaluable help two years ago, just getting things out of one's head and into the keyboard is a huge help :).

So really, it would be for my own satisfaction. I can get the same satisfaction from telling her myself.

As the saying goes: "Revenge is a dish best served cold."

....and another: "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience".

Back