Responsibility for strata fences?

Hello All

Here in WA I have a IP that is a survey strata unit in a group of 14. One of the side fences was recently damaged by a car which was reversing down the side access which is part of the common property and efforts to recover the cost from the car driver have proved impossible.

The cost of repair is less than the insurance excess and the strata manager is saying the fence is my responsibility. As I read the strata titles act in WA I think the responsibility should be shared as the fence divides the common property from my unit.

Can someone please tell me if the strata managers are right or just trying to pass all the costs on to me?

Thanks in advance.

Why are they specifically targeting you? Was it your tenant/tenant's visitor who damaged the fence? (Not even sure that would make a difference, but just wondering why they are allocating responsibility to you.)

I don't know of the rules in WA but I have a strata property in NSW. A car ran through my back fence and strata took care of the repair. An owner only owns the airspace within a property, not the boundary fences/brickwork of the house.

I'd think that it's a no brainer that it is strata responsibility?

Back