restumping

Hi
We received a few quotes for resumping our PPOR and we had selected a company, however, the contract includes a clause that states that we as the owners are responsible for the cost of repairing telstra cables, pipes and electrical cables. It makes me slightly concerned but just wondering if a lot of stumpers used this clause? Wouldn't the insurance they take out with the BSA cover this?

As a side note we weren't initially looking at raising the house (thus not in hte quotes) but just wondering about peoples experiences regarding the cost of raising the house vs not. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated
Josh

Hi Josh,

Are you just replacing old stumps with new? i.e. no change in stump heights, positioning of bearers and joists? If yes, I don't see how the cables and pipes will be affected. I think the contractor is putting the clause there just to cover himself in case of any stuff ups.

Sorry, no idea on cost of raising house.

Rgds,
Patrick

I had a price recently and it was $600 a stump:eek:

If you lift your house to the legal height you can build underneath it and create a lot more usable space,however inconvenience and expense to yourself is huge.

However if the price for replacing them while the house is low is not much difference,(They don't have to dig and work in confined spaces)it is something to think about.I don't believe the house will rent for any more but as a PPOR it would be of a great benefit to yourself. ;)

Imagine another full size house space to store your goodies :D

I had a price recently and it was $600 a stump:eek:

If you lift your house to the legal height you can build underneath it and create a lot more usable space,however inconvenience and expense to yourself is huge.

However if the price for replacing them while the house is low is not much difference,(They don't have to dig and work in confined spaces)it is something to think about.I don't believe the house will rent for any more but as a PPOR it would be of a great benefit to yourself. ;)

Imagine another full size house space to store your goodies :D

Thats what we initially wanted to do with our place. At the moment you have around 1.8m of clearance, only need to bring it up another 400 or so and dig out some dirt and then build under!

In jacking up the house to enable restumping back to a constant level, sometimes services are affected, sometimes not. This is sometimes beyond the stumper's control, during the works.

A house I had restumped a few years back, was lifted about 120mm at one corner, just to bring it back to level. The downpipes at that end had to be extended, because they lifted out of the pipe into the ground.

Back