Retaining wall recs for Canberra

We're looking to build a retaining wall in Canberra. Anyway used one in the past that they're happy with? Still deciding on stone or concrete.

Hi Athenaa,

Have you got some photos you could upload to the site? Would be good to see what you're working with.

From a functional perspective, other people on this site might be better equipped to answer your question.

However, from an aesthetic perspective, I would suggest considering the colours and finishes of the house and any fences that are nearby to the retaining wall before deciding what material to use.

You'll get the best effect if the retaining wall 'works with' your house/fences but does not match. That is; the colours and materials tie in, in some way to (perhaps) the trims etc. Creating a cohesive effect is key when doing any renovations or additions to any part of your property.

What you don't want to do is have the same finish on the house as on the retaining wall though. I usually like to try and pick out one of the trim colours (say, the guttering or the fascia or the window frames etc.) and use that colour on the fences/retaining wall.

Also, I'm a fan of using darker colours for fences and retaining walls because they tend to provide a more solid 'frame' around the property.

Does all that make sense?? Good luck!

Hi Atheena

You could check out the Wholesale Sleeper Company, I recall they had a few options to choose from. Magnet Mart and bunnings probably have some options as well.

We built a nice one out of besser blocks, rendered then painted. It will last forever and looks good. The blocks were pretty cheap as well.

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Atheena

You could check out the Wholesale Sleeper Company, I recall they had a few options to choose from. Magnet Mart and bunnings probably have some options as well.

We built a nice one out of besser blocks, rendered then painted. It will last forever and looks good. The blocks were pretty cheap as well.

Cheers

Jamie

Thanks Jamie, will look at this option too.

guys remember retaining walls are not just a big heavy wall , they are structured in some-most cases like the letter "L" in the way that rhe footing is the horizontal and with the use of 20mm reo bars protruding through the top of this footing , the bessa blks then get laid over the bars and they are filled with concrete themselves , 20mpa <

Thanks Craigb for your reply. I've done some research on how to build a retaining wall, and I don't think we'll be building one ourselves unless the quotes are really excessive.

Back