Retirement property planning

So after some bad information from mums super accountant, i thought id get some general ideas here. Sometimes, the collective input from knowledgeable members can often be better then some pros. Going by past health/car issues haha.

Situation is my single parent mum is about to retire in 2 yrs max.
Has access to 350k super mid yr, + 50k savings. no ppor or ip.
I can contribute 120k, but renting myself, would like to be in a position to buy myself asap.

The idea was to buy a more expensive ppor 650k~, and then a cheaper ip apartment which would be rented for 2 yrs. Or would it be better to buy 2 cheaper places now?

The real area of confusion though, is wrong ownership structure. Obviously the idea is to get the pension, but unsure if the either of the above options would cause issues.

You need to determine what your mum needs Fusion.

Is she a single mum with kids still at home or is it you & your mum? Ie how large a place will she need?
How much are her living expenses? Is continuing to rent an option?
Is it affordable? How long will she live in retirement? How long will the super last? Does she need to take it in a lump sum or can she get a % paid monthly?

You might want to sit down with centrelink to confirm how much in assets your mum can have without affecting the pension (ppor isn't counted )

How will she qualify for a loan without income?

Will you buying with your mum affect your fhbg?

Renting is not an option.
Even a 1br apartment would work, albeit close to transport. Minimal living expenses as shes not a world tour person. Pension plus additional super savings on top of the lump sum.

Lump sum will be available mid yr, so a total of 520k in available funds (120k being mine).
Her ppor won't really be about investment.

Basically i'm unsure if we should combine to buy a bigger/better place for the short term of 2 yrs. Plus a cheap IP 1/2 bedder to rent out till retirement in 2 yrs. I guess that would make the first place her ppor (which id eventually stay in), so perhaps not the best option?

She qualified for the loan as we took it together.
Yes I will lose my fhbg, but I guess i'm not that keen on off the plan anyway.

Who should you be talking to about issues like this? So far generic accountants, and her smsf accountant dont seem too helpful.

Back